Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need gift help for a 2 meter mobile (part 2)  (Read 725 times)
NCHIKER

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions with my request for help picking out a 2M radio for my father in law.  When I mentioned this his other daughter than was in charge of getting the antenna - she asked if I would ask here for antenna suggestions.

We have decided on the Yaesu 1802 radio and would like a suggestion for a permanently mounted antenna and mount. We have found out it will be going on a Honda minivan instead of a pickup truck.

thanks again - I'll be sure to tell my FIL about eHam after he gets his radio.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »

Any Larson 2m or 2m/70cm and an NMO mount, though you'll need to drill a 3/4" hole somewhere for the mount.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 02:55:35 PM »

If the Odyssey is going to be garaged, you'll have trouble with the NMO2/70BK. Unless, that is, you mount it on the cowl. Due in part to the structure of the van, you'll need to use an angle bracket off of the hood seam. It's a little tough to mount, but it will work.

There's a little more to it than just putting on the antenna. You can start with my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:40:38 PM »

I'm not sure how tall the Oddesy is, but the Larsen on my Windstar clears the typical residential garage door with only the very tip dragging on the garage door as it opens and closes.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 06:08:21 AM »

Just to amplify what Alan posted, depending on the clearance you have a couple of easy options:

Larsen Model
49": NMO 150 C or B
20": NMO Q C or B

Where B-Black, C- Chrome

And,

NMO K NMO Mount Kit

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque,  NM
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »

If you want to go inexpensive then get a 20-30 dollar glass mount antenna. Looks like a cell antenna and is more or less perma-mount, depending on location. That way n o holes need to be drilled on the van and if he isnt going to do much xmitting then this is a very good option!!!! Smiley
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:44:16 PM »

Joe, I have to take exception to the glass mount antenna idea. Glass mounts are LOUSY antennas, as most of the radiation is from the coax! Not only that, 95+%  of the new vehicles today use passivated glass, which turns glass mount antennas into dummy loads.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 11:55:54 PM »

If your budget is tight, you can always pick up the MFJ magnet mount for around $20.  No way the best, but it will do an OK job.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:10:26 AM »

I agree completely with Alan's assessment of glass-mount antennas. Like most compromise antennas, people think they work great until they compare them to a properly installed real antenna.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 07:13:32 AM »

FWIW, mag-mount antennas and just marginally better than glass-mounts.

I have never understood the compulsion to buy a good rig and then get the cheapest antenna you can find. A properly designed and installed antenna is 90 percent of a good signal.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:21:12 PM »

<<I have never understood the compulsion to buy a good rig and then get the cheapest antenna you can find. A properly designed and installed antenna is 90 percent of a good signal.>>

Absolutely!

Mike
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »

All I was getting at is if he is only going to "listen" then anything will do for that. The other alternatives are great too, but, with no holes to drill no scratches from mag mounts etc etc. Heck even a coat hanger can recieve a signal, I know I've done it just experimenting!!!!!!!
KB1OCC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 07:45:42 AM »

I own a Honda Odyssey and have placed a lip mounted antenna on the rear hatch.  This clears my garage door, but I'm certain there's some performance lost due to the proximity of the antenna to the van's body.

I did start out with a small mag mount 2m/70cm antenna and this kept getting knocked over when I'd pull the van in/out of the garage.

There are motorized mounts out there that would permit the installation of a sizable roof mounted antenna.  I'm not sure what the price is, but you'd still have to remember to put it down.
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »

I would explore a cowl mount first and also a hatch edge mount on the drivers side of the rear hatch. If necessary to clear the garage door, the hatch mount can be several inches down from the top of the hatch. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is close to the height of a van, and I am using a hatch mount about 4 inches down from the top of the drivers side edge of the rear hatch with a Comet BB-5 antenna. It is adjusted to miss the clearance of my parking garage at work. The Commet BB-5 is similar in size to the Larson antenna recommended by others. The Larson is a better antenna, but the Comet and Diamond antennas also work. Mine is seven years old and working well so far.

Do a good job on running the DC from the battery and securing the radio safely. Consider if you will want a remote speaker. The antenna is the easy part.

This will be a much appreciated gift.

73 de Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: