Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Control cables and DC power cable Interaction  (Read 327 times)
KF7ZFC

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:51:57 PM »

In my installation in my 2002 Ford Explorer, the tranceiver unit will be under a back seat. The control cables for the FT 857D remote head will run along side the dc power cables. Will this be a problem?
Thanks
Steve
KC2ICL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:51:42 AM »

Most amateurs will tell you not to run them concurrent. The reason is, most installations do not have enough body mass under the antenna. Since the body if the other half of the antenna, the RF has to flow somewhere, and that's usually back over the control cables, coax, and in some case on the power cabling (parallel line currents).

If the antenna is mounted correctly, the amount of parallel line currents is practically nil, and so it doesn't matter how you route the wiring.

In my personal installation, the cabling is bundled and covered by one run of split loom. I have no RFI problems.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:43:47 AM »

<< In my personal installation, the cabling is bundled and covered by one run of split loom. I have no RFI problems. >>

Ditto.

If the antennas is properly installed and the feed line is not radiating, there should be no RF getting into the control lines or anything else.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: