Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Pick-up,radio,antenna=New install.  (Read 377 times)
KM6CQ

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:59 AM »

Hello all,
I am looking for some ideas. I have a 2007 quad cab Dodge diesel 3500 ram. And a IC-7000 with a High Sierra sidekick antenna and the Better Rf tune and controller modules. All of this is still in the box except for the Dodge. This is my third screwdriver antenna.
I am looking more for radio install ideas in the Dodge. I am thinking of laying the radio under the drivers seat. Then drilling a hole to go under the cab for feedlines and cable.
I have decided to put the sidekick in the front drivers side stake pocket. I will use  MIX31 split beads on power leads where they come off the antenna. High Sierra told me a coil is not needed on the bottom of the sidekick. I am still not sure about that one. I would like to hear from some of you and your experiences. No need for me to reinvent the wheel here.

Thanks,   Dan KM6CQ
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »

The reason a matching coil isn't needed is simply because the antenna losses are great enough that the match is close to 50 ohms when in resonance. In this case, most of the overall loss is in the coil as the Q is rather low as screwdriver antennas go (30 to 60 or so).

If you haven't decided on who's stake pocket mount, you might want to look at http://www.geotool.com.

With respect to the BetterRF unit, just make sure you use at least 5 turns, and preferably 7 or 8 through the core.

If you want the updated installation manual for the tuner, got to my web site, and look under Antenna Controllers. There is a link to the pdf.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KM6CQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »

Thank you Alan. You have a very nice web site and I appreciate your comments.

Thanks,   Dan KM6CQ
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »

Under the back seats are popout plugs which is where I ran my feedline & power cords through the carpeting just FYI! I used clean silicone to reseal the hole after install.NO DRILLING!!!

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: