Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foundation Licence Mobile  (Read 521 times)
ULTRA

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »

Firstly great site, after trawling the net its been very usefull.

Im looking to find a nice radio to cover the bands used in the foundation licence. There seem to be so many and understanding the terminoligy (sp?) is difficult.

My impossible questions are these.

Suggestions on the radio itself 5-600 to spend but has to be mobile.

Things to look for in the radio?

I do want it to have as much as possible but also be easy to use as A/ im new and B/ its for use out on the road.

i have had suggested so far only the icom 703 but am still unsure at this time as to why!

any help thoughts welcomed, i dont want to buy the radio and find out it doesnt do something i want later on.

Many years ago i used to run a kenwood ts-50 as a cb knowing full well it was overkill.. again i want it to sound well and having everything!

Like i said, an impossible question!

Any help thoughts welcomed.

Mark
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »

There is a lot more to operating mobile than just the radio. An asking for an opinion will get you just that.

If you want the rest of the story, got to my web site and look around.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »

I agree with Alan, you need to read his web site.

<< Many years ago i used to run a kenwood ts-50 as a cb knowing full well it was overkill>>

I don't know about where you live, but here in the U.S. that is very illegal.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ULTRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 12:53:26 PM »

Thanks, had a good look round it now.. very usefull.

As for the kenwood yeah it was kinda illegal here in the UK also...

Happy days DXing from my car though.

Older wiser and legal this time heopfully.

Anyone have any thoughts on the icom 706 or 703 then?
Looks like a good all rounder?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »

If you're planning on mobile in motion, forget the 703. Mobile operation with full power is hard enough, but at QRP power levels, darn near impossible. At least until the bands are hopping in about 5 years.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

ULTRA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »

when you say "the bands are hoping in about 5 years"
what does that mean?

So to narrow it down then this is my list:

Icom IC-706MKIIGDSP

Kenwood TS-480SAT

FT-897D Yaesu

Thoughts on the above? differences etc..

I know this is mostly down to personal choice but i still value any input..

Many thanks again and apologies for the questions.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 06:32:19 AM »

Go to a local retailer or a local ham's shack and try the rigs. I own a 480 and find that with some issues I have had, it is still the best rig around for ergonomics and menu organization. I really enjoy using the radio and find most of the rig very intuitive.

Just curious which country has a foundation license? Is that the UK or down in VK?

Dan S
KO1D
ULTRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 09:22:03 AM »

Im in the UK...

As for local retailer there is only one local ish and the owner tends to frown on foundatation licence holders as " not real radio users "

That said alot of fully qualified HAM's round here wont even speak to M class ( foundation licence) holders hence my asking on here!!

At least when i do get on air i hope to be helpfull to ther new users..!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

Mark, the band conditions are at their lowest because we're at the bottom of the sunspot cycle. Until the spots start showing up regularly, DX openings on 20 meter are going to be spotty, especially from a mobile standpoint.

The lower HF bands are about at their best, but again when you're mobile it is hard to get enough radiated power to work DX reliably.

You can have a lot of fun with the TS50, and a hamstick, but you're not going to set the world on fire.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

ULTRA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 07:57:17 AM »

interesting, i kinda thought using the unit mobile wouldnt have amazing results as it never realy did in the cd days.

As for the kenwood ts50 thats long gone now by the way!

still reading reviews etc on the radios i listed earlier trying to decide.. i bought ther rig guide 2007 but to be honest it doest say a great deal.
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »

I think we have several issues here.

The Foundation License limits you to 10 watts doesn't it?

The three radios you mentioned all run 100 watts. Yes, it's possible to reduce the power output, but won't you be tempted to break the rules? We already hear lots of complaints about Foundation licensees running high power over there - you don't need to add to that aura.

The IC-703 would be a viable choice, as would a Yaesu FT-817. The 817 would have an advantage of also providing coverage of VHF and UHF bands, which the 703 doesn't have.

As for QRP mobile, it can be frustrating. However, if you pay close attention to your mobile antenna, you can actually have a lot of fun with 5-10 watts on the higher HF bands - that is, 14 Mhz. and higher in frequency. A friend of mine used a 5 watt Ten Tec SSB rig mobile years ago, and had lots of fun. I've made lots of contacts on 20 meter SSB with the 817, and I used a low power 10 meter rig in the car very successfully for years.

Now, QRP is a challenge - and the Foundation License is based on that. It would be a good idea to have a nice, low dipole set up in your garden for 40 and 80 meters. I understand many Foundation Licensees have learned that they can cover Great Britain quite well with such a setup.

For a home HF-only station, the Ten Tec Argonaut V would be an excellent choice. I always vote in favor of the best receiver, and the receiver in this rig will run circles around the others in its class.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: