Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me choose - FT8900 or FT 857D  (Read 1979 times)
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »

Hello Wally,

Think about these:

1) Do you want to be able to monitor the local repeater or '52 simplex (2m calling & road freq) while doing HF mobile?

2) Do you like scanning? Want to be able to scan your favorite freqs while monitoring the local repeater?

3) Want to compare HF signal reports in real time with a local friend? That is, compare notes on 2m or 440 while simultaneously monitoring an HF signal.

4) There's not a lot of value in 6m FM and 10m FM: most of the good action is on SSB.

5) Want to be able to use your car as a cross-band repeater to boost your handheld's range?

If you go along with these, then get the 8800 now and enjoy it. Save your $$ and when you get your general, treat yourself to a mobile multiband HF rig. By then, the sunspots will be starting to pick up.

--...MARK_N1LO...--

AI4LG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 05:08:58 AM »

Good Morning Wally-
   One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the difference between a good VHF/UHF mobile installation and a good HF mobile installlation.  It's kind of like the difference between changing a light bulb and wiring a house.  Both have to do with electricity, but wiring a house right takes a lot more knowledge to make it all work!  Spend some time on Alan's (K0BG) website for good info about mobile HF.
   I encourage you to get that General and get on HF.  Lot's more, lot's more to the hobby than just VHF/UHF and the whole world is out there on HF!  But I also would encourage you to get into HF with a simple base station.  It's too easy to hit barriers with a mobile HF as your first experience. That can lead to becoming frustrated and discouraged and giving up on HF.  And those who do will miss 90% of this wonderful hobby.  My two cents.
  Good luck!  And go get that General!
  de AI4LG - Rick  
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »

Now for my 2cents worth!
I have owned both radios and both are great radios but neither one did what I needed.
I like the BANKS of freq's that can be stored into the ft-7800 or ft-8800 hypermemories.So if I go from Princeton,IN to Kansas City (or princeton to daytona or princeton to durham) I retrieve that bank of freqs and put it into a hypermem to scan while I'm driving.I do use most of 1000 memorys. The software helps in doing this.
The ft-857/897 will scan in a group of twenty or two hundred.the ft-8900 has no BANKS.
here is a partial list of banks.
1 local repeaters
2 local police
3 100 mile radius repeaters
4 p'ton to dayton
5 two meter simplex
ect.
Mike Brewster
KC9BUH
KD8HMB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 08:16:16 AM »

I appreciate all the helpful advice given here - thanks!
I have decided to go with the Icom 208H 144/440 xceiver, since it's similar to my current 2200H unit, for the time being. I will wait until I get my general before getting the HF unit.

N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:51 PM »

Get the 857d.  If you configure the memories for 144/440, you'll never know your running an HF rig as well.  I've had one in my car since 2003 and it's the best mobile rig i've owned.  It's small, tough, easy enough to operate, and 'talks' really well.  The DSP is better than not having it.  You can configure your bandpass filters however you like.  I have found a very good setting that on HF i have almost eliminated the unsquelched hiss that plagues many rigs.  The receiver is top notch and  you can add a cw and ssb filters.

You won't regret the purchase.
N4ISF

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »

now i got a ?        Does the 857 have adjustable power out?     I don't see it mentioned in any discriptions.   (Been trying to figger out which one I want as well)     I'd want to be able to turn down the power for running portable on limited battery power.   (thinking of posible horse packing in remote areas)

of course at home I want cross band repeat capability but I need 3 radios anyway.

Oh yah,   I just joined here,  I'm 42 and  been licensed 28 years but got into it for the radio electronic technical side and arn't much of a conversationalist,    so never got any good equipment.   But I've had a cell ph for 15 months and just got rid of it because I hated the bill, and decided to get some modern radios and make use of my license.   (I have 50's and 60's vintage tube radios)   Just got to thinking how good a radio I could have bought for all that  $$$ that I gave the cell ph co.   And then called them and told em "Shut this thing down!"
   I call myself a farmer,  (a few horses and raise some veggies) but in actuality I could make a long list of all the stuff I get sunk into.  From logging and sawmilling to mechanics and hybred electric car building to foundry work, (intend to build a modern style steam tractor) to building our own house to being responsible for keeping a small broadcast station on the air,  etc.  
      The computer I'm on is very old by computer standards and dosn't work very well,   but should be getting a new one in a week or 2.
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »

I've had a triband FM mobile - 6, 2, and UHF. I've had 10 meter FM mobiles. And I've had some compact HF mobiles.

(Hitting his head) This is a no-brainer! If you can afford the radio, go for the all-bander. Don't want to spend so much money? Look for a used IC-706 MK II G - they can be had for less.

I will assume for a moment that you're a Tech.

The FT-857 is not the world's greatest FM rig. But it will do pretty much everything you need it to do. In fact, it's a Swiss Army Knife - you'll never use all the blades in it, but some of them are very handy. The FM-only rigs are like nail-trimmers by comparison - very easy to use, but not capable of much other than trimming nails.

As a Tech, you CAN use a lot of the capabilities. You can do FM, SSB, and even digital modes on UHF, 2 meters, 6 meters, and 10 meters. You can do CW on those bands as well as 15, 40, and 80 meters. And, oh yes, people are using computers to make CW contacts (stay above 3525, 7025, and 21025 on those bands).

Let's assume you don't upgrade to General or higher for a while. Right now, 10 and 6 are fairly quiet, but there are sporadic E openings. In the summer, both bands open up for skip pretty much daily. Techs who got on 10 last summer were not disappointed.

If nothing else, you can listen to HF SSB with your 857, so you can see if upgrading to General is for you.
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »

I've had a triband FM mobile - 6, 2, and UHF. I've had 10 meter FM mobiles. And I've had some compact HF mobiles.

(Hitting his head) This is a no-brainer! If you can afford the radio, go for the all-bander. Don't want to spend so much money? Look for a used IC-706 MK II G - they can be had for less.

I will assume for a moment that you're a Tech.

The FT-857 is not the world's greatest FM rig. But it will do pretty much everything you need it to do. In fact, it's a Swiss Army Knife - you'll never use all the blades in it, but some of them are very handy. The FM-only rigs are like nail-trimmers by comparison - very easy to use, but not capable of much other than trimming nails.

As a Tech, you CAN use a lot of the capabilities. You can do FM, SSB, and even digital modes on UHF, 2 meters, 6 meters, and 10 meters. You can do CW on those bands as well as 15, 40, and 80 meters. And, oh yes, people are using computers to make CW contacts (stay above 3525, 7025, and 21025 on those bands).

Let's assume you don't upgrade to General or higher for a while. Right now, 10 and 6 are fairly quiet, but there are sporadic E openings. In the summer, both bands open up for skip pretty much daily. Techs who got on 10 last summer were not disappointed.

If nothing else, you can listen to HF SSB with your 857, so you can see if upgrading to General is for you.
NZ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »

My 2 cents is'nt as experienced as most, but, your can always reduce your activity, but if you upgrade and want to check out the HF bands, well, your back to making another purchase. I say the bug bite will only fester and you will want more, as this is what happened to me. If the price is in the budget, go for the 857 Transceiver, BUT....with Yaesu being bought by Motorola, and the future of their Amateur Division in question, I'd look at the Icom 706 MK II G....I have a Icom IC-7000 and love the Icom Product. And with that said, if you can swing the IC-7000.....well, you will have IMO, the best mobile out there.
Also....the best advice I have received to this point has been from Alan K(zero)BG............. the main purchase is a quality antenna, and its proper installation.

Good Luck

Steve
NZ4Z
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: