The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HI-Q Antenna and Turbo Tuner....lil help please  (Read 907 times)
NZ4Z

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2008, 07:14:06 AM »

Ok...I have the HI-Q  5/160, and a Turbo Tuner that was in use with a Tarheel. How the heck do I tie these 2 together?..... I'm not much on connections, etc. And How to tie it ALL together? As far as coax......heck the Tarheel had the 239 on the bottom, and just screwed it in. I am limited with others in my area for help, and too new in the hobby to have the experience  need for this install. If it was'nt too far, i'd be on Alans door step with the same confused look on my face that I have now. I can power a rig up, and key the mic and yack away...... but this installation stuff is above me.....hihi. I have the MFJ-909 that Charlie recommended also.

Thanks in advance

Steve
NZ4Z
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »

Steve, I wouldn't use the capacitor box, as I mentioned in my e-mail. The matching coil (home brewed or purchased), can be installed elsewhere in the feed line. The additional loss isn't signifiant. This said, a simple matching coil will suffice. Directions for making one are on my web site. It takes less than 15 inches of wire to wind, and connections can be solder lugs. There are quite a few photo in the photo gallery in both album and the other installs one.

If there something specific or unique to your install?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NZ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »

Hi Alan, and thanks as always...... Well, I thought i'd use the mfj-909, simply because I have already received it. But, I trust your advice. Where can I get a stainless whip with the diameter at the bottom needed to fit in the adapter Charlie sent me? And being the 5/160 with cap hat, what length do I need? But I'm still confused how to connect the coax to the antenna without a 259. I'm a visual learner, not muc on manuals....hihi.

Steve
NZ4Z  
KF6RDN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »

I have the 5/80 with a turbo tuner, if you want I can take a picture of how I have mine connected.

I forget his name, the guy that makes the HiQs, recommends a specific tuning system, I found a coil was simpler to bring the impudence down.  

Not to go against what Alan might have told you, (I'm "tuning in" on the middle of this QSO as it were)but it's an idea.

Mine works ok, aside from it being too close to the cab, I'm sure I'm getting a good amount of loss from it, but it's one of those function/visual appeal tradeoffs.

KF6RDN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:38:26 PM »

Errr, "impudance" is supposed to be impedance!
(stupid spellcheck)
'rdn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: