Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: roof mount?  (Read 446 times)
N9MSH

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »

Hello, I am currently shopping for a hf mobile antenna.
I have pretty much decided on a Hi-Q, due to it being sealed. My choices are between the 3/80XLT or 3/80rt "s"  if i went with the "s" i was thinking of mounting it on the roof of my suburban, or is this not a good ideal? I would drill the hole necessary to mount it or should i just stick to a full size and mount it off the rear left as per the norm.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:34:57 PM »

Length matters! Within reason, doubling the length of an antenna increases it radiation resistance by a factor of four, with a similar increase in efficiency. HF mobile antennas are already a compromise, so why would you add insult to injury?

Not all folks can roof mount their antennas, if for no other reason than garage clearance. This is especially true of vans, SUVs, and some trucks. For some reason, no one thinks about mounting their antenna at the FRONT of the vehicle. Not the best for sure, but better than mounting them next to the body of a van.

Remember too, it is the metal UNDER the antenna, not along side, that counts. And a ground strap will not negate this fact!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N9MSH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 06:46:31 PM »

Alan,
Thanks for the reply, i have gotten many ideas for mounting off your site. I wanted at least a 3" coil and i want it above the roof line by at least a foot. I guess it will be time to do some fabricating for a mounting bracket to do a mid body mount to keep the coil above the roof line. Since this is my first mobile hf install i want to take my time a do it right.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:13:31 AM »

Yep! The seven Ps are the only way to do an install.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N9MSH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »

Okay i have taken the plunge and now have a beautiful Hi-Q 5/160 marine. I'm not opposed to drilling holes, and i was wondering if a ball mount would be sufficient, of course it would be supported below the coil at the roof line. My biggest concern is arcing. this will be connected to a ic-7000 and a better rf tune/controller. Otherwise it's fabricate a custom mount to come out just above the rear light assembly.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: