Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Custom Installations…  (Read 1184 times)
N4ATS

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:43:45 PM »

Mobile Custom Installations…

Ever wonder how to mount the remote head in your car and want a professional looking job?  People bring their vehicles to me (as a hobby) for radio installations because I use a unique way of mounting which is extremely simple.

For example, if you have a small cubby on your console (used for change or anything you can get into it) and want to take advantage of the hole for mounting then follow these simple steps.

1)   Go to home depot or a packing house and get a piece of Polyurethane Foam (better known as hard foam).
2)   Using an Exacto Knife, cut the foam slowly so that when you are done it will fit into the cubby nice and snug.
3)   Make sure the FLAT surface that is showing (where you are going to mount the control head) is nice and flat.
4)   Remove the foam.
5)   Cut a piece of ABS Plastic (Lexan will work, again Home Depot) to the exact size of the flat surface.
6)   Using Gorilla Glue (Home Depot), glue the ABS Plastic to the hard foam flat surface.
7)   After it is dry, spay paint the front flat surface and around the edges with Black “TEXTURED” paint and let dry.
Cool   Install the foam back into the cubby.
9)   Using double back MOLDING TAPE (K-Mart sells it for holding trim on a car body and it is like steel when it adheres) lace the back of the control head.
10)   Peel the backing off the tape and “stick” the head centered on the ABS.

This procedure is a very simply way to make ANY installation look professional with NO DRILLING.

Email mail me if you want pictures or help.

grassa@earthlink.net

My Web:

http://n4ats.com
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:48:03 PM »

Sounds like what I did with my 2007 DODGE 1500 Quad Cab.I used a piece of 2 X 4 I cut down & power sanded to fit then painted it black.It fits VERY snug in the hole just below my stereo & the seperation kit plate is mounted to it for the ICOM 7000 face.Looks pretty good even if I say so myself!

Clayton
W4KVW
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »

I see a myriad of problems with this. First, the radio (head, whole radio, whatever) isn't attached firmly. In the event of a crash, those parts which are not affixed solidly enough, will come flying loose. This is EXACTLY what the interior trim pieces are suppose to do. However, there is a great difference in the amount of stored energy of an eight ounce piece of plastic, and a 3 pound remote control head, or perhaps an eight pound radio flying about.

The bottom line is, permanent, solidly mounted (read that as screwed in), placed out of the way of SRS devices, and accessory controls, is the only way to install radios in any passenger vehicle.

Anything less, isn't safe!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KF6RDN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:48:53 PM »

"I see a myriad of problems with this. First, the radio (head, whole radio, whatever) isn't attached firmly. In the event of a crash, those parts which are not affixed solidly enough, will come flying loose. This is EXACTLY what the interior trim pieces are suppose to do. However, there is a great difference in the amount of stored energy of an eight ounce piece of plastic, and a 3 pound remote control head, or perhaps an eight pound radio flying about. "

I don't dispute what you say, except perhaps the 3Lbs control head of a typical radio, but regardless, what about junk people typically have in their car, anything from cans of soda, cell phones, groceries, the dog, tool boxes etc.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:04:04 AM »

I agree, folks just don't think about the consequences of flying objects. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I try, and I even use a safety harness when the dogs are along for their safety as well as my own. Further, I don't wedge things in, use velcro, and double sided sticky tape to secure radio gear.

The real hard facts are, telemetric distraction is the leading cause of vehicle crashes, and the leading cause of vehicle fatalities. While the majority of these are a result of in-motion cellphone usage, the NHTSA has determined that two-way radios use is just as distracting. It would be very naive of any amateur to assume his/her in-motion radio use is less distracting.

The point is, if the author had put as much thought into the distraction problem as he apparently did to get around drilling a couple of holes, we wouldn't be having this exchange.

Lastly, you might argue that not properly mounting gear in a vehicle has little to do with the level of distraction, in which case I'd disagree. If you have to hold your arm outreached to adjust the controls, it's mounted incorrectly, mounting methodology notwithstanding.

Personally, I prefer to set the example, instead of being one.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:40:07 AM »

I don't think you have a clue what body molding tape is??? Look it up..

As for the "flying" things , I guess I need to assume a jet engine may fall from the sky as well..

Come on guys.. get real
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »

I do know what body molding tape is, but it isn't the tape that's in question. It's the wedged in chuck of foam.

We can banter this forever, and not prove any point. If you feel it's safe, it something you'll have to live with. But I want you to think about this.

In 1973, while driving a 1972 Fury III, I was struck from behind by a 16 yo boy, driving a Ford 4x4 PU. I was in the left turn lane waiting on the light. He was driving about 35 to 40 mph and served into the left turn lane for some unknown reason. The radio I had in the car at the time was an NCX5. It was anchored to the transmission hump by 6  number 1/4x20 bolts using a factory mounting bracket. The radio was literally ripped from it's floor mounting. The power and coax cable (RG8), were pulled into. I didn't see the results because I couldn't get out of the car at the time. However, the police photos showed the transceiver laying on what was left of the trunk lid. Only the mic cord kept it from falling off.

The point being, until you've actually be in a very bad crash, you don't have a clue what will stay put, and what won't. If this crash didn't reach me anything, it taught me to anchor radio gear like my life depended upon it. It does!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:04:31 AM »

After over 30 years as a law enforcement officer it still amazes me that people take the chances they do with things inside their vehicle. I have seen instances where folks lost eyes by beads and such hanging from the rear view mirror. Several eyes taken out by stuff laying on the dash such as pencils. The worst thing you can do from my experience is putting those junk holders on the sun visor. Remember, it’s not just the things flying after the initial impact, but also items that you come in contact with subsequent to the initial impact. That one in a million chance that takes out an eye will bring reality home very quickly. Be safe!

73 de Lindy
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:18:30 PM »

Lindy,

I don't know where you are/were an officer, but I can tell you one thing:

Some of the worst "junk offenders" I have run across in 20+ years of two-way radio service have been LEOs!

I have seen vehicles that I had to literally tunnel my way to the center console to get to equipment. I even had a State Trooper come in with 2 or 3 confiscated license tags stuck up in the visor and the trim over the door.

I get the "vehicle is my office" concept, but geez!

Larry, N2HBX
N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 03:52:59 AM »

And all I was doing was showing "real" ham radio guys an easy way to use a hole in the dash...

Enjoy life guys and quit being so critical , an remember , everytime the shuttle launches , cover your head.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:02:42 AM »

"I don't know where you are/were an officer, but I can tell you one thing:
Some of the worst "junk offenders" I have run across in 20+ years of two-way radio service have been LEOs!"

Your right Larry and I fought this issue with all new officers and a lot of the older ones. It may seem trivial to some, but I for one would not feel very good about causing injury to the XYL or other passenger. By the way, 20 years LAPD, Patrol, Accident Investigation, Motors and Detective. Five years as Deputy Sheriff and last five years as State Public SAFETY Chief.

I try not to be obsessive about this issue, but just last year, a geologist mounted a GPS receiver to the center of the steering wheel (containing the air bag). A minor fender bender resulted in a concussion and multiple facial fractures and this guy was by no means dumb! I would rather go a little overboard on this subject in hopes of getting folks to think about it.

73 de Lindy
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 07:41:00 AM »

Lindy, that is exactly my point too. Temporary means of attachment, mag mounts, and the like are not safe practices, any more so than trashy vehicle interiors. But alas, you can talk till you're blue in the face, and nothing will get done until the parties in question suffer a loss as a result. And sometimes, that doesn't pound home the point either.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »

Scotty , please beam me up.

You guys are a joke. You are so far in left field on this subject that it is starting to get funny.

If you think for one minute if your car gets smashed into at 50 MPH and you are only worried about a 6 oZ control head flying off and tapping your leg ( which it will not anyways because of the control cable and mounting) , there is WAY more to be concerned about.

Grow up people...
N0MSU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »

AMEN! I see on this forum that if you don't have and use what some members have then you are doing everything wrong.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 12:11:29 AM »

I'm not even going to show these guys pictures of my temporary HF installation on the passengers floor - heck's it's got plywood with sharp corners too!

Please, all you guys, be careful using that bathtub OK.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: