Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: best HF mobile band  (Read 1016 times)
N5YPJ

Ignore
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »

Hi

I've been giving a little thought to trying HF mobile since I've been spending about three plus hours a day taxiing my kids around with no relief in sight maybe a little HF action would make it more palatable.

I'm thinking one band operation 40 or 20 meters and maybe using one the MFJ-9400 series radios. Most of my trips are early afternoon through about 10:30 PM.

Any advice or suggestions?

Richard
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 01:56:33 PM »

Oh geez. Just what do you want to work? Local, DX, a combination, don't care.....

If there is a mobile magic band, it's probably 17 meters. Now it hasn't been open much in the last few months, but when it does, it's wonderful. There is no contesting, so if you're limited to weekends, you're in luck.

Part of its success is the fact it is not difficult to run a full 1/4 wave antenna. While a bit long for some locals, out here in the wooly west it's the way to go for the best signal.

This is not to say 20 or 40 isn't good, it just depends on you, mostly.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »

Depends on the time of DAY or NIGHT you will be using the bands.I find it's pretty EASY working lots of DX as well as U.S. stations on the 17 meter band with just 100 watts & a Hustler antenna during daytime hours.I also have pretty good success on 20 & 40 during daytime hours.60 meters is VERY good most nights but I don't get out much at night for use of that GREAT band.I have antennas for almost ALL of the bands so I'll take whatever happens to be available & work it.Hope you figure out just what you like & give it a try.Take your time & set the rig up properly so NOISE is NOT an issue or it will make thing VERY tough & take away your FUN which is why your doing it anyway.

73's,
Clayton
W4KVW
ONLYON6METERS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

i have the same problem....kids.  theft of a $1k radio is a fear, so how about 1 of those 10 meter radios like the magnum 257 (50 watts on 10m for under $200 new) or a used htx10 or htx100 or hr2510 or rci2950(they still make them i think).  i use a magnum 257 while waiting for my kids little league games & other sports all year long.  E skip contacts are made may-aug, then dec-feb and NOBODY has ever told me off for using 'an illegal pseudo-cb'.  in fact i get many excellent reports on that little radio, have never been unable to contact a station i called and even a few oldtimers that i was reluctant to tell what i was using either HAVE one or are looking into one....for the same reason i use it-price & E skip.  i had an mfj9406 for 6m e skip but have since traded up for an rci5054dx100 that rsides in another vehicle during the spring/summer.  better chance of making a 10m ssb or fm-simplex contact when no e skip then on 6m.  and no, it is NOT modded for cb, i have no need or desire to, i have a legal & stock uniden cb in my boat & travel vehicles, in case of trouble, it's usually easier to contact someone on a cb then 6 or 10m.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:40:20 PM »

Been there done that with an RCI-2950, darn good  radio for ten meters. I look at it like this practically  anything can be abused and wind up being illegal, so why so much grief about these ten meter radios as long as they are being used by licensed hams on 10 meters?
Anybody can have an all band rig moded and get on 11 meters and operate illegally.

We visit Mexico a lot and an all band rig, albeit it legal to possess mobile (but not operate) draws too much attention from Mexican Customs Officers and can cause problems either a  bribe being required or returning to the US or the radio being "lost" while being held for your return. Around here a cheap mobile is the way to go.
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 12:04:26 PM »

Well, you're not going to be able to work much on 10 meters, nothing at night, until the next sunspot peak.

If you are worried about theft, just buy the separation kit and take the headset inside with you. The IC706, at least, comes with a headset mount that you can just slide off, and the connector seems durable enough to allow for many hookings and un-hookings.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 04:47:19 PM »

As Alan said, what do you want to do?

For me here on the East Coast where I do a lot of driving for work, 60, 40 and 17 are the ones I work the most. 60m has a good crew on Ch4 and some DX now and then from Europe on 4 and 5. Generally though you can find someone to have a nice chat without being walloped by QRO stations running ridiculously wide like 40 or 75.

40 is pretty self explanatory. Until the QRM from Region 2 comes in its not a bad place to relax. I enjoy checking into the MIDCARS Net on 7258 as that has the best propagation usually. Not to mention som damn good ops as well. I am not sure if they have a WESTCARS or something of that ilk. If they do I have never heard anything like it west of the Mississippi.

17 is another nice quiet band. Just about 2 weeks ago I  had a nice chat with a fellow in the UK who was also mobile for about an hour. Then worked VP6DX <G> so it really was a good day. Again power is limited to 200w and here is where you can easily find a lot of QRP ops around 18.157 when the conditions allow. They always enjoy that someone actually heard them Wink

That is what I LIKE right now. 6 and 10 will again open up and I shall migrate up like most. What you will like depends on what you enjoy doing in the 3 hrs on the road. Hope to work ya soon!

By the way I have a very modest station. I run 100w from a TS480sat into a Tarheel Model 75 for right now. It works well for me on the Escape.

Dan S
KO1D/3
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 06:43:46 PM »

KO1D,WHO is limited to 200 watts on 17 meters?Just wondering!I agree that 17 meters is a GREAT band LOTS of DX stations & 60 meters is GREAT mobile band in the mornings & evenings if your mobile that time of the day.

Clayton
W4KVW
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »

After I got your email I rechecked and you are right. I thought all the WARC bands were under 200w but nope, just 30. So yeah my bad.

Dan S
KO1D
KM6CQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 10:19:44 AM »

I like 75 for the evening through the morning. And I like 40 for morning through late afternoon. They are reliable.
I think 10 is the easiest when it is in. You can do so much with so little. It is just that you wont be working your regular friends in the region. One hop is a easy 2500 miles. But what other band can you run a full quarter wave on? not counting 6 meters of course.

Best Regards, Dan KM6CQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: