Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: small antenna  (Read 864 times)
LAZARAS

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »

I am a brand new ham and expect to pass my technician test on 4/12. I have purchased an Icom 706 Mark2G and will be installing it in my F250 truck. I want an antenna that will work all three bands but will not be very tall.
I have looked at the  Comet SB14 as well as the Comet SBB224 and the Diamond CR8900A. If I purchase a AH-4 tuner will any of these antennas work well? Is there a less expensive tuner that will work?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:54:45 PM »

Personally, I would buy any import. If for no other reason than sturdiness. Their gain figures are also suspect.

If I were doing this, I'd use the best for VHF/UHF, and that's a Larsen NMO2/70BK. If you do, you'll know why the others are questionable.

As for 6 meters, why not bite the bullet and buy a decent, remotely tuned  HF mobile. Hopefully you're not planning on staying a tech the rest of your life!

If you want the rest of the story, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

You don't use an antenna tuner with any of the antennas you list. In fact, the AH-4 WON'T work with any of them.

I agree with Alan, the imports are not particularly well constructed and their gain figures are, to put it politely, not believable.

A Larsen NMO270B, installed properly, will outperform anything you have listed and is virtually indestructable. The same is NOT true of the imports.

If you need 6m,  get a separate antenna for that band.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 04:40:19 PM »

The CR8900 antenna is designed for the FM portions of the 6 and 10 meter band.  It can be difficult to match - my install required counterpoises on the roof of my car to attain a reasonable match.  It's an OK antenna, not a great one.  I would not recommend it for a 706.
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:51:23 PM »

The CR8900 requires you to have it grounded to the car. Counterpoises will work but not nearly as well as drilling a hole. I use a simple Hustler 54" mast on 6m and that works fine. For 2/440 I use a Larson 270NMO nd it works better than the "gain" imports not because of gain but because of the lobes. In an urban environment it always plays better in my couple months of testing back in northern VA.

As Alan noted, upgrade! Good luck on the tests and see you on the iar soon!

Dan S
KO1D/3
LAZARAS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:49:10 AM »

How about the Diamond CR320A as this is a tri-band.
LAZARAS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 03:59:21 AM »

Last one for this question. How about the MFJ-1436

RuffRider Triple Threat 6M/2M/440 MHz Mobile Antenna?

I would really like to use just one antenna for the full spectrum on the Icom 706. I am pretty sure the last one I asked about in the previous post will not work but I believe this one will. I await your opinions.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 07:57:46 AM »

<< How about the Diamond CR320A as this is a tri-band.>>

Yes, it's a tri-band. The gain figures are suspect and the quality is on a par as other import antennas. I personally wouldn't spend the money on one.

<< Last one for this question. How about the MFJ-1436

RuffRider Triple Threat 6M/2M/440 MHz Mobile Antenna? >>

Same song; second verse. I would not waste the money. The MFJ RuffRider antennas are even more poorly made than the others. They simply won't hold up to any sort of abuse.

<<I would really like to use just one antenna for the full spectrum on the Icom 706.>>

There is no one antenna that will cover all the bands on the 706. It just doesn't exist, and if it did, it would be a very poor performer on all of them. If you don't really care about performance, that's one thing. If you want an antenna system that actually works well, you are going to need a dual-band antenna for 2m/440, an antenna for 6m and a separate one for HF.

In my case, I have a Larsen NMO270B for 2m/440, a Larsen NMO50B for 6m and a High Sierra 1800DX for 80m through 10m. There are photos of my vehicle on Alan's web site.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: