Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2005 Ford F150/ Icom 7000  (Read 1041 times)
N9AYH

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »

Hello:
 I have a 2005 Ford F150 with the rear bench seat and the "half" rear doors. Has anyone installed an Icom 7000 in one of these? If so,I have a number of questions...
 Did you seperarte the head unit from the main unit? Where did you mount the main unit? Did you find a route for the power through the firewall? How did you exit the cab area with the coax from the radio?
 I have some ideas but would like to hear what someone else has done. Two ideas are better than one!
Thanks in advance.
Blake
N9AYH
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »

Look here k0bg.com.
N9AYH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:23:11 AM »

Thanks WA7NCL.

I go to Alan's(K0BG) website often. It's a great site but I would like to get some ides from someone who has done an install in the 2005 F150.

Thanks
Blake
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:33:17 AM »

Blake, specifically, what is it you want to know? Power? Antenna location and type?

I did an 2004 F150 a couple of years ago. Is that close enough?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N9AYH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:49:02 AM »

Hi Allan:
 Yes..Perhaps the 2004 F150 would be the same.
 Did the F150 you worked on have the rear bench seat?
Where did you mount the "main" part of the radio if it was a IC706 /IC7000? Did you find a route for the power throught the firewall? How did you get the coax from the radio out of the cab to the antenna. My main interest are the HF bands not VHF.
 I would have answered you direct but thought there may be others that are interested in this.
Thanks
Blake
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

The best place to mount antennas on a pickup truck, it the left rear stake pocket mount. Not all trucks have them, however. Of course, you have to do a good job of bonding the bed to the frame.

There are several ways to get into the cabin of an F150. If it is an automatic, the best place is the clutch grommet that isn't used. On some models there is an extra 'tit' on the main wiring harness similar to the one all Toyotas have. It is NOT big enough to pass a fuse holder through unfortunately.

Under the carpet in the rear corners are grommets made to pass through trailer wiring, etc.

On the install I did, the radio was mounted under the front passenger seat, and the head of the 7000 on a bracket screwed to the center console. The controls were easy to use by simply laying your arm on top of the console.

If you're has a navi, you might want to look at remoting the front panel onto the navi. I have info on the device on my web page under Neat Gadgets.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N9AYH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:02:52 AM »

Thanks Alan:

I didn't know about the holes in the rear conners of the cab... See, it "pays" to ask a question here.
 I'm planning to use one of the HiQ antennas on this. Just thought I'd let you know.
Thanks again
Blake
AC2RC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 03:15:51 PM »

I think some of the photos of my 2003 F150 are still on the K0BG website.The control head is mounted on a bracket I made that's bolted to the top of the bezel on the dash board.The radio is mounted behind the seat.Wire ,fused, is installed from the battery ,thorugh the hole in the firewall [ there is one on each side] along the channel under the door sill.Antenna connection is made through the vent behind the seat [ there are two] then through the hole in the head board to a AH-4 mounted just below a Geo-tool stake pocket mount. A 102" whip completes the system.Make sure you have ample ventilation for the radio.
N1EDU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 04:36:06 AM »

You might check with Steve NU5D  he has many rigs in his F-150.  If you can see the pics in the Yahoo D-star group, go to
http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/dstar_digital/photos/view/fa63?b=2

I can't remember if they are public or only subscribers.  You might also see something at www.bosshardradio.com.  

I know it isn't the same, but on my 05 F-350, I ran coax out behind the rear bench seatback 0 there are two grommets under the vent louver areas.  Power came in through an existing grommet in the firewall that was unused.

Dave
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 07:06:31 PM »

Blake,

Here are some pics of my 2004 install. I haven't had a chance to take any pics of the antenna install yet. My HS1800Pro is mounted on the bedrail behind the cab and the coax is routed through the bed gromet and into the cab via the cab vent behind the back seat. The vent has a rubber flapper that when you feel it can be lifted up out of the way and the coax fed into the opening between the grill spacing. The spacing will accomodate a PL-259.

Hope this helps!

Wayne C.

pics are here  http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561542558MPWWvE?vhost=good-times
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 02:00:08 AM »

Blake,

I think what would help you the most is to pick up an ARRL hand book, or a reference book on antenna installions to help comprehend how to install the antenna and understand why you would install it in various configurations to your liking.

The install on your radio should be common sense and a no brainer. Radios are coming with detachable faces to make installs easier. Really! How much easier can it get for you.

There are so many reference books out there that outline and show antenna plots for different installs with technical information and again with picture's to help you inderstand it better.

The antenna question I can understand, but where to place your radio in the truck? I think only you should be asking yourself that question. It's called personal preference!

73!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: