The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small cars with side curtain air-bags  (Read 895 times)
N2IK

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:29:55 PM »

Does having side curtain airbags preclude an NMO roofmount with a cable down the B pillar?

I am looking at some compact hatchbacks such as Suzuki SX-4, Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris.

If it does, I am still able to do hatchmount or hoodmount antennas.

The Honda Fit and Suzuki FX4 both have car radio antennas at the rear edge center of the roof. How far away do I have to keep the VHF/UHF antenna from the car antenna?

Anyone with advice on power routing on these cars?

Thanks in advance,

73 de Walt N2IK
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:47:09 AM »

It is an easy task to install an NMO mount into a Fit, or any other vehicle with side air bags. The best place to snake the coax it through the C pillar (behind the rear door). The B pillar is the worst in terms of wiring and sensors.

If the vehicle in question has a sliding roof panel, you'll need to mount behind it, and that's tough on some models. Just make sure you avoid any roof bracing.

The AM antenna shouldn't be limitation, but space the VHF antenna as far away as you can. If that's just 6 inches, fine.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:48:27 PM »

Is the side airbag in the piller or in the seatback? I have a car w/ the side airbags in the side of seatback -- it apparently splits the front/side seat seam to deploy.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 07:00:34 AM »

There are so many different setups, it's hard to tell unless you have a maintenance manual on the specific vehicle.

Some side air bags (curtains they're called), pop out of the headliner. In a Honda, they're in the side of the seats, as are the side impact sensors.

Some, like the Volvo, have back seat front backs too. They pop out of the head rests. The bottom line here is, you have to be careful, and KNOW FOR SURE where things are located.

This is the reason every amateur who decides to operate mobile, should have a maintenance manual for his vehicle. Very few do.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »

There is a picture of the Honda Fit in the sales brochure with all the bags deployed. It has drivers in the wheel, passenger front from the passenger side dash, left and right side-curtain bags come from the edge of the headliner from the A to C pillars on driver and passenger sides. There are also side bags in the front door panels below the windows. Lotta bags. I guess that is how they can get a great crash rating in such a small car.

Thanks to all for the advise. I take delivery soon and as soon as the shop manual comes I will begin my study for radio installation.

73 de Walt N2IK
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »

You guys were correct, the lower side air bags do pop out of the outboard edge of the front seats. These are in addition to the side curtain bags that popout of the edge of the headliner. This beasty has 6 air bags.
73 de Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: