Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yaseu ft8800  (Read 909 times)
KB3ALX

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:02:50 PM »

I just got a yeasue ft8800

Has anyone placed this under the drivers seat and is it safe to place it there?

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:01:16 AM »

Lots of folks, I'm sure. The only caveats are keeping the radio away from any heater ducts, and power seat mechanisms. Of course, the usual attention to wiring and antenna installation is still required.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 07:40:27 AM »

You can also consider putting it underneath the passenger side seat. My dual band chassis is there because my HF rig is under my seat. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:22:17 PM »

My FT-100D lives under the passenger side, rear seat in my 2003 Saturn VUE with no problems at all.
KB3ALX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:46:31 AM »

Anyone using the cigarette lighter to power this unit.  

How does it work

I have a saturn 2002 l200

Aslo does anyone know where i can get a solder connection all i am getting is solderless.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:36:31 AM »

<< Anyone using the cigarette lighter to power this unit. >>

Lots try it; it's a lousy idea.

<<How does it work >>

It really doesn't. (1)The wiring to lighter sockets is too small to sustain an extended 10+ amp load (2) the voltage drop is excessive (3) many rigs simply won't operate on the reduced voltage.

Anything larger than an HT needs to be wired directly to the battery.

<<Aslo does anyone know where i can get a solder connection all i am getting is solderless. >>

Connection for what?

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB3ALX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:52:45 AM »

So how would u make the connection and add another fuse into the engine compartment.  

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »

(1) you run the wires from the power connector on the radio through a hole in the firewall (and I've never seen a vehicle that didn't have an available hole to use - you just have to look for it) directly to the battery, fusing both the positive and negative leads.

(2) go to www.k0bg.com and read Alan's web site. It will answer 99 percent of your questions.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KB3ALX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »

Great have to find someone to do that.  

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:36:13 PM »

If you don't feel comfortable doing the installation, any decent commercial radio shop or custom audio shop can do it.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »

I have this setup with an FT-8900.  I took a very short rubbermaid container and ventilated it on the top and on one side to allow the fan and cables to exit and also to cool the radio - been working for about 3 years for me now.  The box protects the radio from errant feet and minor spills but allows it to stay cool.

KC4APT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »

Yes, you CAN put it under the front seat with no problems, even with power seats.  I've had one or another under two different front seats, one in a car, one in a truck, and a third under the back seat of a Pontiac Bonneville close to the battery.  That once required a remote speaker, but that worked well.  I hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: