Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K Band Radar  (Read 3221 times)
W7CLC

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »

Do police agencies have to be licensed by the FCC to operate their X or K band radar units?  What are the rules for a regular citizen to use these bands for the same thing, IOW, can a citizen not affiliated with the police run a radar speed unit in the X or K band?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »

Yes, police departments are required to have FCC-issued licenses for all their radar units. Same deal for the ones used by baseball teams and other sports.

I suppose (but do not know for certain) that a civilian could buy a radar unit like LE uses, but why do you want one?

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »

If the radar is above Part 15 power levels, Lon is very correct. However, units like the B&L one that AES sells, for example, operate below Part 15 levels, therefore no license is needed.

Nor is one needed for laser units. Fact is, you can buy one from Laser Products, and all you need is a credit card.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W7CLC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 11:24:52 AM »

Well, I didn't really want one, but picked up two Kustom Signals K-band radar units when I was recycling some electronics.  I don't know what I'll do with them, but they both work.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »

Hire yourself out to clock Little League pitcher's fast balls. Smiley

AFTER you get the units licensed. <g>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:19:59 PM »

If you get tired of clocking the speed of little league pitchers, mount it in your car and take a ride on the nearest interstate highway.  When some fool blows by you at 90 MPH, click the radar unit on and watch the brake lights shine and the tires smoke.
N8FGB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »

Actualy the K band falls in the 2.4ghz amateur band.We use that band on a secondary basis.As long as u do not interfere with the cops using theres, your license should cover it.
Rich
AI8O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 09:42:31 PM »

Many states like North Carolina require POs to be licensed by the states police standards commission to OPERATE speed radar and Vascar.
The idea is that the police officers must know exactly how to operate and read the results from a radar unit.

NC OPOTC ( the NC State police training standards commisssion) also has NC state technical regulations for speed radar.
 They exceed the FCC regulations by quite a bit.
NC also requires  annual testing and calibration of every police speed radar and Vascar unit.
K4DHR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »

To be clear, a law enforcement entity is NOT required to have a separate license to operate radar provided they have a valid license for their communications radios. As far as I know, this has been the case for well over a decade now when I first did some research on the subject.

An individual would have to obtain a Part 90 license to operate a K band radar unless it falls into the Part 15 rules. I can't recall what the power limit is right off hand, but there are only a few newer hand held radars that fall into Part 15 that are certified for law enforcement use. It is likely that the OPs (I realize this is a rather old thread) probably require a Part 90 license to operate.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 04:20:06 PM »

The age of the thread notwithstanding, current rules require that any agency must have a license to operate any radar Laser systems are exempt, however. Individual officers do not need a license.

It is, after all, a shared band, and anyone using the band must be properly licensed. This includes everyone, including the military, but like individual police offers, there is a blanket exception for the need to have individual operators' licenses.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: