Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 102" whip with coupler -vs screwdriver ur tho  (Read 1882 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »

I have doe it several ways.  on the car I use an ATAS 12o with the ft 857 and it autotunes from 440 mhz to 40 meters. all band all mode. and it fits in the garage

in the truck I use a "real" DK-3 screwdriver and it tuns from 6 m to 80 m just fine.  I have also used "hamsticks" which are quite interchangable, but a pain to change when traveling.  I have also tried the hustler with the 3 heads on 1 shaft ( yuk) and others. but I like the Big Screwdriver.

the best mount is probably on the high serrias, and the best operation is from the HI-Q antennas, so there ya go.  what is most important.
KA1YBS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »

For those still following my thread, I installed the Icom AH-4 tuner today. To my surprise, I can now work 40m without a hitch, and tuning is MUCH faster then my SGC-239. I also love the ability to use the rig's tune button while driving, very nice, beats lowering power to 10%, and changing modes, etc.

I can work 6m now as well.

What I do notice as differences:

SGC-239 matched better (lower SWR), when it actually matched.
AH-4 does not re-tune like the 239 did, no more SmartLock on the passenger's seat!
AH-4 tunes 80-6m regardless of efficiency, SGC tuned 20-10m regardless of efficiency.

Time to solve my RFI problems...

Smiley

KD8GHK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »

This thread has me curious - I just picked up an Icom 706 and a Kenwood AT120 tuner.  From the teenage hillbilly cb days I still have a 102" whip at home.  The guy I bought the 706 from told me I'll need a tuner that will tune a wire antenna to make this work.  The more I think about it the more I realize I don't really know the difference between balanced and unbalanced radiators - what will happen if I hook the AT120 to the antenna and try it out?  If it's gonna damage something is there any way to compensate without purchasing another tuner?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: