Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Reboot Issue Icom 706 & SGC237 Wire Ant  (Read 708 times)
KG7AMV

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2008, 06:37:50 PM »

Hello,

I Have a ICOM 706MKIIG Mars/Cap Moded, Hooked to An SGC 237 Antenna Tuner And a 25' Wire Antenna Installed in to and Aircraft.

Problem,

Turn Radio on and tune to Frequency, 300 to 15000 range for aircraft bands When the wire antenna is connected the radio shuts it's self off or reboots.

I Called SGC was told be to disconnect antenna and Test tuner with a light bulb, the light bulb will glow and the radio will not reboot when tuning or talking!

Thinking I had a bad antenna used some solid 16 Gage Wire about 25-30' and radio still shuts off/reboots the radio when talking and or tuning.

I Called SGC they recommended I disconnect the 12V from the radio to the tuner and go directly to the battery as it could be overloading the radio's 12v but still did not help.

Any Recommendations? I am lost...

I do have the tun lock LED hooked up seems just before power down it blinks or shows locked then radio shutdown.  

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:45:50 AM »

First, have you installed the grounding screw in the remote cable of the Icom? If you haven't, that's probably why you're having the problem. In extreme cases, you'll have to install beads on both ends of the remote cable. It will take at least four turns through a mix 31 bead, so use a 3/4 inch ID.

Secondly, the ground side of the coupler MUST be made as robust as you can. It must be inches, not feet!

Next, the feed side of the coupler must connect directly to the antenna. You cannot use coax for this connection. It too much be short, inches, not feet.

Next, remember that every piece of hardware past the coax connection inside the coupler is part of the antenna. If this is inside the plane, which I'm sure it is, you may not be able to cure your problem.

Lastly, the coax most likely is acting as part of the antenna, and you'll need to choke it off too.

I used an SG235 in a vehicle for several years, and finally gave up as I could not tame the RFI. And trust me, I tried EVERY trick to do so. The short answer is, the only way you'll ever pull this off, is to have the coupler on the outside of the aircraft, and even then you're going to have problems if you don't make all of the connections robust.

If you want more info, read my web page article on Antenna Couplers.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:08:45 AM »

No call.

Out of ham band use.

You should be using type accepted radio, installed by a qualified person.

This is obviously a non-ham application.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »

Well, Bill, if he gets it running, he'll discover soon enough why there are such things as type acceptance and monetary forfeitures.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

PS: I bet he also using the interface suggested by SGC. If that is true, his 706 will fail soon enough.

WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:46 AM »

Mercy! Please stay legal. It is much safer in the long run to rent a portable set up than what you want to do. Most of the larger avionics shops will set up a temporary system for international flights. In some countries unlike the US, they will put you in jail for using non-certified transmitters.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:40:20 AM »

Its probably an RFI (RF interferrence) problem. Make sure the tuner is properly bonded to the aircraft with a short wire braid. As Alan said, the 706 is noted for RF getting into the head control wire and turning the radio off. Try putting the head directly on the radio with no wire to see if it was the wire picking it up.
KG7AMV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:19:40 AM »

I have been to many places in the world with a HAM setup in a aircraft never had a complaint the aux tank fuel on the other hand well that usually gets questions.

I think it is the separation cable.
KG7AMV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »

just went to sat phone... Gonna sell 706MKIIG
KG7AMV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 06:42:16 PM »

I figured I would keep it and not sell it.... I am Going to try the Ferrite Beads...

Also Icom separation cables are a pain to splice.... when soldering on a connector to go through the pelican case.

Here is my portable set up build,
http://internationalferryflights.com/HF_BOX

Also anyone recommend other RF shields for the wires.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: