Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Mobile Install Problem?  (Read 390 times)
G0OAN

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »

Hello All,

I need some help with I’m having trouble with my mobile setup.
It consists of an Icom IC-7000 transceiver, Little Tarheel antenna and Turbo Tuner.

In short when transmitting on full power the transceiver keeps resetting its self by shutting down and then turning on again. It seems to be power related as it stops when I reduce the power level to about 50%.

The other thing that I have noticed is a fluctuating VSWR reading.

After tuning the antenna if I check the VSWR in AM or FM it will read about 1.3 and stay steady. However if I simply switch to SSB and start speaking into the microphone the VSWR reading will start varying up and down at times peaking at 2.

Anyone got any suggestion as to have might be causing these sort of symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sean.
G0OAN.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »

There are a bunch of reason for the various things that are happening.

A few questions. Do you have the motor leads choked? If so, what are you using for the chokes, and how many turns?

Where and how is the antenna mounted?

One reason the could be 7000 is shutting down is voltage. If it drops below 11.7 or so, it will shut down. It could also be caused by too much common mode currents on the coax and control leads, hence the previous questions.

There is more to be sure. You might want to look over my web site for answers. Start with Automatic Controllers.

A photo of the install would help too, and my e-mail address in on the site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »

I had the same problem with my 7000, HS-1800, and Better RF controller.  Mine would shut down just as the controller found the dip in SWR and foward power went up.  I solved it by doing a number of things, but I don't know if it was a combination of them or one in particular.

As Alan suggested, I choked the heck out of the 12V supply to the motor and the controller's supply.

I tied the controller's ground back to the radio's chassis.  I had previously had it going to the battery ground.

Finally, I improved on the antenna's ground by bonding the body, hatch, and hood (bonnet) panels, and also the exhaust pipe in several places.
N5DXL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »

I had the same trouble with my IC-7000 and did all of
the above and it was still going on, pulled the radio
out from under the seat and that was the answer. It was
heating up and shutting down, once I gave it room for
air flow works great with my HS-1800 and turbo tuner.
I've added a small computer fan on top to help keep it
cooled off in warm weather.

Tom
KJ4BIX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:03:34 PM »

You are getting RF feedback into the radio. The tarheel came with a toriod for the motor lead on the antenna, make sure you take a couple of turns of the remote lead thru the choke near the antenna. Also you can go to radio shack and buy some ferrite chokes (about $5 each), put one on any external speaker cable before it plugs into the radio and also temporarily try running the radio from the front of the auto with the face plate directly attached to the radio. I'm running > 1KW with a IC-7000 but I cannot use the remote feature of the head on the radio. Even with ferrites on the remote cable - I still get RF feedback into the display on the radio. The external speaker jack seemed to be the major problem (after the remote cable). I put chokes on the power leads, the external speaker, and the cables supplying the motor on the tarheel. I can run legal limit with no RF feedback after getting the chokes installed. BTW, no turns or even 1 turn around the choke isn't enough, I have a min of 2 turns and probably 3 on the motor lead. The 7000 is really sensitive. If you need help e-mail me at KJ4BIX@arrl.net I'll help you get it straightened out.

Thanks
Alan (KJ4BIX)
KJ4BIX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:07:16 PM »

I didn't mention in the previous post, but I'm running a IC-7000 a TarHeel 200-HP and a 3CX1500A7 (8877) in the mobile. With about 20 watts of drive from the IC-7000 and about 3200 volts on the plate of the 8877 I get around 1200 watts out. The IC-7000 with the tarheel is a great combination - with a little work, it will definitely perform great.

KJ4BIX/M

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: