Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-1802M, how to check SWR?  (Read 542 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »

I just got a FT-1802M and I'm trying to figure out where the SWR meter is on it? does it have one? if so, how to check to make sure the antenna is working properly?

thanks
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »

There are few, if any, VHF/UHF rigs with built-in SWR meters. The manual will tell you if there is.

If the antenna is properly installed, the odds are it is working just fine. If it really bugs you, you can put a VHF/UHF SWR meter in the line between the rig and the antenna.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:12:11 AM »

Most VHF radios will handle up to about 3:1 SWR without too much complaint. As Lon alluded to, installing the antenna correctly is the key.

A Larsen NMO2/70BK, doesn't have any adjustment at all. You just put it together, and 99% of the time the SWR will be less than <2:1 across the FM portions of the bands.

Monoband antennas like the Larsen NMO150 will have to be trimmed to length, but the included chart is close enough.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:32:41 AM »

I have 75 feet of RX8 coax with an Arrow OSJ146/440 mounted inside my garage roof. The reports claim its working great, but I'm hitting a repeater, so I don't know if that would make a difference in how people report my signal.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not damaging the radio.

thanks for the help.
KD4KNR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:06 AM »

You should buy SWR meter.. There are several good ones in the $100 range check the reviews section of this website.. You will use more than you realize!!!!

Or you could borrow someone's analyzer (ex Mfj-269 or the like)..

75 feet of Rg8X??? can you shorten the run?? Might want to consider RG213 or LMR400...

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: