Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what antenna is this  (Read 401 times)
N3IDG

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »

it is a mag mount has a 8 to 10 inch horizontal circle loop on it with a wire in a arch over mi point of cirle that is adjustable it is 2 meters  the circle is probably 1/4 stainless tubing seen on car at a fest max height is maybe 10 inches thank a  link to maker would be nice
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 12:01:56 PM »

Just a guess, but I'd say it was a 2 meter halo. They're not all that big, and if done well, they're a great SSB mobile antenna. I personally use a 6 meter halo, albeit somewhat further away from the sheet metal.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »

forgot to mention it is vertical polarized talk to the guy but forgot the maker
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »

I remember seeing advertisements for those antennas on 73 magazine in the early/mid 80's. There was also a (blue, I think) acrylic radome available for those as an option, if I remember right. As for the manufacturer, don't hold me to it, but I think the name might have bneen something like MAX-RAD, or something similar.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
ww.ka1mda.org
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »

Forgot to mention in last post- I don't think this is a regular HALO antenna. If memory serves me right, I believe it's a commercial version of an antenna called the DDRR (directional discontinuity ring radiator) as described in the ARRL antenna handbook. I homebrewed one a long time ago for 2 meters. I believe it functions as a magnetic antenna- so polarization is vertical, even though element is oriented horizontally. The one I built was tuned with a capacitance disk at the end of the element.

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 06:04:17 AM »

For what it's worth: MAXRAD is part of PCTel, a commercial mobile & base VHF/UHF antenna manufacturer -- similar product offering to Larsen & Antennex.
N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »

don't believe its a max rad nothing like it on web site
K9WI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

It was called an UnTenna.  Texas Towers sold it.  I bought one from the manufacturer a few years before that at Dayton.

It was an OK antenna, but it was a compromise.  They were sold as 2 meter, 440 meter and a 2 meter and 440 version.  You also had the choice of mag mount or NMO.

The radomes were sold seperately.  In my case, the radome was the death of the antenna.  I had the mag mount and a Semi passed me on a 2 lane highway, sucking the antenna off the roof.  the magnet was smashed and the antenna never worked after the incedent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: