Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mfj4403/portable using car  (Read 2189 times)
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:03:19 PM »

Couple questions, anyone with ownership of the mfj 4403 using a 100 watt rig from a cigarette lighter and did it work?
Next if I used a separate deep cycle battery to power the 100 watt rig, what way will be best to charge the 2cd battery  1)jumper cables from the main battery to the spare   2)a small gasoline generator to a power supply to charge the battery so the car doesn't constantly run   3)a large noisy generator and skip the battery?Huh  
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 06:29:21 AM »

I wouldn't do it on a bet! This is one product that MFJ should not offer.

The wiring for most accessory sockets is #16, and it is bundled with a bunch of other wire before it gets to the fuse panel. Thus, it is very easy to overheat the wiring, even when current levels are below the sockets rated load (120 watts give or take).

While it is easy to dismiss the facts with rhetoric (it works for me, etc.), the fact remains that the most costly repair on any vehicle is an electrical fire. If you choose this route, you're on your own.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:30:42 AM »

If you want to know how to do a decent installation, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »

I have a MFJ-4403 and it actually does work very well for low duty cycle modes (like CW and SSB).  It is really not much different than the Gamma HPS-1a tiny power supply that uses a low current power source to charge some BIG capacitors.  Except that the MFJ-4403 includes a current limited capacitor charging circuit to keep from stressing the accessory socket wiring while the capacitors are initially charging.  So your radio's necessary peak current comes from the MFJ-4403 4-farad internal capacitor bank.  The normal accessory wiring does a nice job of providing the average capacitor charging current for the capacitors, but again only for low duty cycle modes.  

HOWEVER - You can take your car to a car stereo shop and have high current direct wiring from the battery put in for much less than the cost of the MFJ-4403.  Alan is right in that there is nothing better than direct wiring from the battery.  But for very temporary operation (like maybe a rental car), you'll find that the MFJ-4403 does the job.

Phil - AD5X
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »

Thanks for your two replies.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »

I used cigarette lighter in rental cars fro my 100W radios and never a problem with a car. SOem radios allow 20A in peaks (Ford, Chrysler) and some require reducing the power (Honda, Toyota).

I bought MFJ-4403 for use in VK/ZL. However, its switch melted forcing me to operate at reduced power with engine on. 

I believe the best combination of mobile/portable power would be with 12.8V 10A LiFePo3 cells and both mobile + AC 5A charger. 

Ignacy, NO9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: