Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ-310 Window Clip Mount  (Read 2365 times)
FREEMA22

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »

Does anyone here have experience with the MFJ-310 window clip mount for antennas? Here is my situation. I drive a fullsize SUV and park either in the garage at my house, or a parking garage. At either place, I have roughly 6 inches of clearance. I currently have a 5/8 wave antenna on a lip mount, mounted to the back of my hood, that is used for my public safety VHF radio. That antenna and my factory AM/FM antenna make contact in both cases. I am thinking of adding either a scanner or a dual-band amateur radio (for amateur ops only), but I am challenged with where to put an antenna. My thought was that I could use the MFJ-310 on the rear window of my truck, with an HT rubber duckie.

1) Has anyone used this mount for a "permanent" type of install?

2) Would an HT rubber duck hold up if exposed continuously to the elements?

3) What are your suggestions for this situation?

Thanks for your help.

Mike F
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »

The problem is, there is no ground plane under the antenna. As a result, the coax does as much radiating as the antenna.

If you need clearance, then mount the antenna on the cowl of the vehicle, or use an angle bracket mounted in the hood seam.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »

By the way, a rubber ducky is a lousy antenna in any case. Why not just spend the money and buy a decent one, like a Larsen NMO2/70BK?

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

FREEMA22

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »

Alan,
You obviously didn't read my original post.

1) I already have 2 antennas mounted to my hood (VHF and factory) so where would you propose I mount this magical Larsen antenna?

2) To answer your question about why I don't get a "good antenna" like the Larsen NMO2/70BK. First, the lack of real estate to mount it, and second, the antenna is 34" tall. Hardly compact, and certainly taller than the other 2 antennas that already clang on my garages.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 01:41:55 PM »

Well, I have a larsen NMO2/70, and it is on its fourth vehicle. It's been clanking the garage door for nearly 9 years. Fact is, I use it to tell I'm in far enough to close the door. Nonetheless, I can appreciate not having room to mount antennas when you garage big SUV and vans.

As for the AM/FM antenna, it isn't as big a worry as some folks would have you believe. Personally wouldn't hesitate to mount a VHF/UHF antenna next to one, even if it was within 6 inches.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »

Mike,

Go to www.sti-co.com and get one of their disguise cowl mount VHF antenna that replaces your factory AM/FM antenna.  Use that for your VHF public safety radio.  Mount the Larson dual band antenna where your VHF antenna presently is mounted.

Voila!

Terry, WØFM
FREEMA22

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:48:32 PM »

I looked into those when I first got my truck. Holy crap they were expensive. I want to say it was in the neighborhood of $300. I think I will just keep looking.

Mike F
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with Alan - go ahead an put a larsen or similar on the side of your AM/FM antenna - it's going to have a negligable effect except of course, visually.  I've seen trucks with 4 antenna mounted on the hood.

Addtionally, either Comet/Maldol or Diamond make a motorized mount that will flip down an antenna, it's not free, and you have to remember to do it <G>.  Such a rig might have enough clearance for your garage door if that appeals to you.

Since no one actually answered your original question:

The window mounted duckie will work for short range applications and repeaters.  As to the antenna - well, it's synthetic [plastic] so it's going to be subject to a certain degree of weather and sun aging degredation.  My WAG it that it might last a couple of years before the plastic cracked - unless you live were it gets really cold, then all bets are off.

And while we are making Alan cringe, I'll point out that most of the diamond antennas have a fold-over mount built-in - mine flips down to about 5" above the roof line - handy for when I have to garage the car or have it serviced.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 02:29:12 PM »

Sorry about that Mike.  Your post asked for a solution to a multi-antenna mounting issue.  I didn't see any reference to a price cap, so I simply tossed out a "solution" that would work for the application.

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: