Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF antenna recommendation for home and mobile  (Read 1218 times)
KF6HHH

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »

Hi all, I have a Yaesu FT-897 that I use for my base. I only have a wire laying on the roof, which does't always work too well as an antenna (severe XYL antenna restriction). I'm also involved in ARES, so would like to be able to do HF mobile during times of emergency.

I just read a story about having a mobile HF antenna on an extendable painters pole that can also be used on a mobile. When it comes to this stuff I pretty much need a plug and play type set-up so I was just wondering if someone had a recommendation for an antenna set-up. Something that will tune itself basically and has a quick attach/detach set-up.

Just looking for ideas. I figured I could get a bucket and make it an anchor and use the antenna in the back yard and then do a quick disconnect and put it on the truck when needed, using the FT-897 until I get a few extra $ and can get a mobile HF rig.

Thanks for all the help,
Dan'o :}
KF6HHH
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:01:56 AM »

The problem is, the antenna ends up not having a ground plane under it. thus, RF flows down the control wires (if any) and down the coax; as common mode current. The result? It just doesn't work well from any aspect.

Mounting a mobile antenna on a vehicle, and feeding it with coax from inside the house would work much better if you do the install correctly.

If you want to know how to do mobile correctly, go to my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 01:12:58 PM »

No way to really run a coax from the shack to the truck, so that wouldn't really work for me.  I'm trying to find the article I read, but if I remember correctly, there were radials and stuff set-up on the back yard mount then you just popped off the top part (Screwdriver, I believe) and did a quick attach on the vehicle.

Actually, if I remember correctly, this was on an antenna site and the reason I didn't want to do it was the cost was like $1000 for the mobile and home kit, so looking for less expensive alternatives.

I've seen your site before, so I'll check it out again, thanks for the reminder.
Dan'o  :}
KD6HHH
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »

Dan, base station verticals require radials, and a lot of them if you want any level of efficiency. When you use a mobile antenna to do this with, you're adding insult to injury. You're always better off with a decent base vertical. A Hustler 5BTV or if you have the budget, a Big SteppIR vertical.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »

I have a big antenna restriction, the XYL, so no BIG antennas allowed if I want to keep peace in the family.  I've looked at those antennas and thought about a temp set-up, but the problem is I need a mobile set-up so this would double my cost, so trying to find a good mobile set-up that would double as a back yard back up since I don't plan on getting rid of the wire.
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 08:34:42 AM »

convert the "wire on the roof" to a doublet.  Feed with home brew balanced feed line (thin wires with really small spacers).  Use a small balanced tuner.  Should work great with thin wire on roof, spaced just off the peak.

Or try end feeding your thin wire "on roof" with auto tuner mounted outside of the house, grounded to an outside water faucet pipe.  Hide the tuner in the shrubs.  Run RG 174 to the tuner so its really thin.  Something like the SGC tuner would be ideal.

Antennas aren't always store bought expensive chunks of aluminum with loading coils.

The secret to stealth antennas is thin wire, as much length as possible, as high as possible and some sort of impedance matching and feed system that is appropriate.  Think outside the commercial antenna box.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »

I have 60' of wire attached to a 1:1 balun, so a total of 120' in a "U" configuration, and the balun is hooked up to regular coax which goes to an antenna tuner in the shack.  I don't remember the name of this type of antenna, but this is what was recommended to me and I have been using for years.  Is this basically what you mean?  

This was the best set-up for me into the shack and to keep the XYL happy.  I do need to try some other stuff, but I only have one tree and it's pretty much impossible to get a line up in it anyway.

Thanks for the advice.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »

<< I have a big antenna restriction, the XYL, so no BIG antennas allowed if I want to keep peace in the family. >>

Do you have veto power over your wife's hobbies? Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 03:43:20 PM »

The wife has requested no big antennas, and I respect her request.  If I wanted to push the issue I could, but at what price.  Technically, this is her house as she owned it before we met, so I give her a little leeway when it comes to how she wants things to look.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »

<< Technically, this is her house as she owned it before we met, so I give her a little leeway when it comes to how she wants things to look.>>

I guess that puts you up the creek without a big antenna. <gg>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »

Nope, no creek.  We discussed it and I agreed.  In this neighborhood, and they way our house is situated in a cul-de-sac, a big antenna would not work out nor look right.  The back of our yard is the front and side yard of our neighbors house, so no way to camo a big antenna.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 07:00:12 AM »

What's keeping you from getting something up in the tree?

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 07:05:07 AM »

To each his own. I've never made any attempt to hid antennas.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KF6HHH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 08:06:34 AM »

Only have one tree that's tall enough, and with the way the branches are a wire gets all tangled up on the small branches and won't support the weight, and with all the small branches, no way to climb up to the stronger branches. All the other trees are too short so where I could tie off is lower than the roof of the house.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »

Dan,

In your situation, I'd get a Hustler 4BTV or 5BTV and mount it over about 20 to 30, 25' radials. Very low key and it will work nicely for you.

I have a Butternut HF6V in the middle of my back yard and no one pays any attention to it. It takes up less that one square foot of ground, not counting the radials laying just below the surface. Once the radials are in the only thing visible is the antenna. If the aluminum finish is too bright, a coat of your favorite color of paint will tame it.

I really wasn't meaning to pick on you or give you a hard time.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: