The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Professional NMO install near SF?  (Read 1071 times)
W6GS

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:31:58 PM »

I've just recently dusted off my ticket after about 8 years of inactivity and I'm looking to install a dual bander in my current car (a 2005 Honda Accord).  I'm (mostly) okay with the idea of drilling a hole in the roof, but between the moon roof, the XM antenna and the side-curtain airbags, I think I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing do the work.

Google shows a few two-way radio shops here in the SF Bay area but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has a recommendation for a good shop before I start cold-calling.  Anyone know a shop near SF that they like for a NMO install?

Thanks,
Dean
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 04:37:35 AM »

Installing an NMO is an easy task if you can get to both sides of the sheet metal. You can if you mount the antenna in the middle of the trunk lid. Lots of folks do, and in most cases, it is just as good as the roof.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 07:10:47 AM »

Considering that the NMO mount is the industry standard, any of the two-way shops are well versed and experienced in installing them. Pick the closest one to you. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W6GS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »

Yeah, thought about installing it on the trunk myself but decided against it for two reasons.

1. The trunk opens past vertical which seems like it might make having an antenna in the middle of it a pain in the butt.
2. Between work and family, right now time is a much more precious commodity than money.  If $100 for someone to do it fast and right saves me a couple of hours of looking for tools and working up the courage to drill a hole, it's worth it to me...

I sent email to the Oakland HRO to see if they like anyone local.

Thanks again.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »

I can't imagine a shop charging $100 to install an NMO mount. The shops in the Baltimore area (last place I had need of a two-way shop) didn't charge that for a whole radio installation.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W6GS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »

I'd certainly be happier with less.  I think I saw a post somewhere in this forum about a person getting quoted $60/hr, 2 hr minimum...
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »

<< I'd certainly be happier with less. I think I saw a post somewhere in this forum about a person getting quoted $60/hr, 2 hr minimum... >>

Get on the phone, call the shops in your area and ASK. Don't depend on something you saw posted on eHam. <g>

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 04:54:57 PM »

checked last week in syracuse ny price was 80+tax including the mount
W6GS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:44:56 AM »

Thanks!
N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:15:23 AM »

73 dollars and some change for the mount and install