Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeep Wrangler... What did you do?  (Read 694 times)
KC9JCH

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2008, 06:08:34 AM »

I traded in my old Dodge pickup over the weekend on a Jeep Wrangler.  I had drilled the roof of the p/u for an NMO mount for VHF.  Have been looking over the jeep for a couple of days now and have a bunch of options (none of which is "center of roof" due to the soft top) and can't decide where is the best place to mount an antenna.  I have a number of antennas ranging from 19" quarter wave to 1/2 wave to multi band 2m/440/220, all NMO mounts.  I am not opposed to drilling a hole for an NMO mount (had the previous truck just over 10 years), just can't decide where to put it.  How about it Jeep guys... What works, what doesn't?  I do occasionally go offroad on hunting/fishing/camping expeditions, but this is really a daily driver.
Thanks,
Tim
KB3PDA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 06:58:22 AM »

Check this link (let me know if you can't see the pics) for my JK Jeep.  On my 05 Unlimited I also drilled the hardtop roof but decided not to on the JK. It was a problem reaching when I needed to use the city garages.

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=13138&highlight=GAM+electronics

I also have the A-pillar light mounts, the left one with a steel plate for another antenna mount.
Do you need an extra softtop for an Unlimited?
Doug

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:13:06 AM »

It would be nice to see the photos, but you have to logon to see them.

About the best place on a Jeep is the cowl area, and if not there then an angle bracket off the hood seam. There is even a special bracket just for the Jeep. A quick Google will get you all sorts of hits.

You can also check the photo gallery on my web site for ideas.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC9JCH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:39 AM »

Alan,
Your web page was the first place I checked.  A great resource, but not much Jeep specific information.  I also searched the forum archive here and got a few ideas, but I have a convertable top...  I agree the front cowl area likely the best and will probably just put an NMO mount in there, was just hoping for a better idea that wouldn't be the first thing hit by low hanging branches on grouse hunting expeditions.

Doug,
I registered at the forum page, but still cannot view images.  If you can, and it isn't too much of a PIA, could you e-mail me the images?  Mycall@ARRL.net

Thanks,
Tim
KB3PDA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:02 AM »

Sorry, I had forgotten about the registration.  Sent them direct.  I did not photo the pillar mount but you can picture a plate that looks like one of the ears on the bar on the spare tire bracket. That ear bolts to the light mount on the pillar and extends out to the side. It has a hole in the middle for a bolt mount antenna or a mag mount can stick to the ear. The ears are all 1/4 inch plate so it takes 2 hands to pull off the magnet.

Doug

(I will see about where to post the pics)

KB3PDA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »

Try this address at Picture Trail for the mount.
Doug

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20896987
AB3EO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »

On a 98 TJ, I use a ball mount on the right panel, between the door and the rear wheel. Hustler quick disconnect under a Hustler CG-144 collinear antenna. It’s tall, buts its gets out. Yaesu FT-8100 with the remote head mounted above the window. The adapter plate attached where the footman loop was. (Uses the same screws.) Rig body mounted on right kick panel. Tuck the control cable under the weather stripping. Everything is neat with no wires showing. Powered off the battery directly through a switch on the dash. Right above the accelerator is a large rubber plug you can push the wires through. Weather tight and no drilling.

I’m looking for a shorter antenna as that collinear does not stow well. Other than that, you can pull the control head and antenna in seconds. Relatively thief proof.  

I’ve also run mag-mounts up on the cowl. With a decent radio, no engine noise as the hood has a ground strap going to the firewall and the negative side of the battery.

Rich
WB8VGE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 08:58:01 PM »

check quadtratec

they sell a stainless steel mount that goes behind either the driver or passenger side.

These hold the mounts for the antennas. I have a hygain 5/8 wave on one side and a 102 inch whip on the other side. A large braided cable from the mount to the frame really helps with RF.

one of the larger CB shops also sell these mounts. I'll have to dig out the URL.

Mike...

Wb8vge
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: