Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need advice on a replacement for a tarheel  (Read 586 times)
KD0AFK

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »

I was driving on route 23 in Ohio between circleville and chillicothe friday evening, hit a slick spot on rolled my truck. An 18 wheeler with trailer makes a huge mess. Unfortunately, it landed on the driver's side and did a job on my tarheel. it slightly bent the main tube, broke the top of the coil. I am not sure of the extent of the damage to the tarheel but I will find out soon. Anyway, I am going to find out how much it will cost to repair it and if it is too much, I will be going to a less expensive antenna. I have found myself lately only operating on 20 meter during the day and 40 in the evening. I don't code so I don't find a whole lot for me on any other band. I am getting a signalink so digital is wide open to me.
Does anyone have a suggestion on a suitable replacement for a tarheel model 300?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:33:29 AM »

Another one! As facetious may sound, I would think the insurance company would pay to replace it. However, if you're just the driver, that might not be the case. This is one time when having ARRL insurance would have been worth the effort.

Although there are more efficient antennas than the Tarheel, anything less will end up being a LOT LESS. For example, if you used a Hustler instead, you've dropped about one and half S units. If that isn't a concern, then that's one alternative.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:50:27 AM »

<< hit a slick spot on rolled my truck.>>

I trust you were not injured!

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:55:15 AM »

Although I am no particular fan of the Tarheel (construction and looks), I have to agree with Alan - replace it with another one or one of the other top-end motorized antennas.

When it comes to mobile performance, you get what you pay for. The Hustler, or Heaven forbid a HamStick, is a major step down. I tried them all before I decided to spend the money and get my High Sierra 1800Pro. I have never regretted the purchase and it's on its third vehicle.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
ARCH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »

Like most, I love my High Sierra.  Your Tarheel is a copy of the HS-1800/Pro.  If you don't mind giving up a few db, then go with Hustler.  Next down the list would be a stick antenna.  They're cheap and cheaply made.  But, they will work for you.  High Sierra also sells a stick they call Sierra Slims. For that kind of antenna you will spend $20 to $30. It's pretty hard to beat the screwdriver antenna.
KD0AFK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 12:12:44 PM »

I'm O.K. thanks for asking. Unfortunately, the insurance I have doesn't cover personal items. Pretty crappy. I think I can repair it but I think I'm going to built the
$5 PVC special I have seen on the internet as a replacement till I get the tarheel back up and running. It is a bottom loaded steel whip antenna or I might just buy a hamstick. Thanks for the advice.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »

hi,

perhaps they can supply the needed parts so
you can repair the antenna yourself and save labor costs.

73 james
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:20:32 AM »

I disagree with the notion that a Hustler will do less well than the antenna you have/had.

I think if you tried the standard hustler mast with their 20 or 40 meter resonator - you would be very pleased.  If you mount it on the same spot I'd think
it would outperform your screwdriver.

KB0USY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »

Most trucking companies insurance won't cover the driver's personal stuff it the truck.Just his butt.Like Allen says the last try you will buy is a HIQ.This antenna is costly ,but it is simple.The BEST.I've got a closet full of antennas.Screwdrivers,bugcatchers,hamstick copys,and Hustlers.HiQ out performs all.
Steve kb0usy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: