Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pictures for Mobile HF Installation in Tacoma  (Read 552 times)
N3OP

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »

Hi,

My friend recently got a new 2009 Toyota Tacoma, and he planning to install a HF rig and a 2M/440 rig in the truck.  He is trying to do a "good" mobile setup, so I was wondering if anyone could email him some pictures of your installation of the rig and antenna.  

Email to: rjo601@yahoo.com  

Thanks,

Reggie N3OP
WB3ERE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:16:03 PM »

Have your friend take a look at

www.k0bg.com

Alan has a lot of mobile instalation photos.

73 Ed
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:31:54 AM »

Thanks for the plug, Ed.

There are a few photos of the exact vehicle, and they're in the Photo Gallery under Other Installs.

There is a lot more to think about besides where you're going to mount the radios. Hopefully, the various articles will help.

One last comment. There is a very easy way to get power into the cabin. From the engine side of the firewall, look at the existing main power cable harness below, and to the right of the steering column. There is what appears to be a teat. If you clip off the tip of the teat, there is enough room to pass a pair of #10s, and maybe a pair of #8s if you use teflon insulated cables. Just be careful while you're at it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

HELEN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 05:19:08 PM »

Hi,

I am totally a new one in this ham group, but since I will be a sale of antennas, I think it is necessary to know the antenna knowledges. Let me start from ham.

I will learn it by my heart, at the same time, if anyone want to buy antennas ,please kindly contact me or welcome to www.kenbotong.com.

Here is my MSM ID helenzhaoyuan@live.cn

Thanks for your time!
HELEN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »

Forgot to tell you my email: helen@kenbotong.com
KI0KY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 03:50:20 PM »

A friend has a 2009.  He found out that the bed, below the plastic liner is not metal.  Thus there is less than the usual amount of metal in the truck.  That is a surprise to me.  He has just finished his hf installation. I try to send you photos later.

Steve KI0KY
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »

Steve, you're correct, and that's not all. The Honda Ridgeline is essentially the same type of construction, and soon the Toyota Tundra, Ford F150, and at least the smaller Dodges (if they all survive), will have the same construction.

The floor unit of the Ridgeline isn't all that light weight, but the strength and durability is superior to steel. Worse, if fuel economy is the real crux here, we're going to have a lot of the technology carried over to cars as well.

ALan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K4GUN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »

Fortunately, the Tundra will have a metal bed for the forseeable future.  The Tacoma is plastic and that's a problem for mounting antennas, but there is an up side to this.  You can drill and cut right through it without worrying about rust or anything else.  Just make sure you know where you want to route grounding cables and co-ax and cut away.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: