The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PT Cruiser 2m installation  (Read 2527 times)
W6LPH

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »

Greetings...new here and this is my first post.

I have a 2007 PT Cruiser convertible and would like to install a mobile VHF or VHF/UHF set in it.  

I've had good luck with an MFJ VHF on-glass antenna on another car, so will probably go with that on the upper right corner of the windshield.

Main problem is running power into the cabin.  I'm having difficulty spotting any grommets or plugs in the firewall through which I can run power lines.  Has anyone done this on a PT Cruiser?  If so, where/how?

Thanks in advance for all responses...great website!!

Bob

W6LPH
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:57:49 PM »

Piece of cake, but you're going to have to ditch the glass mount antenna idea. The glass in the PT is passivated, which for all practical purposes negates the use of a glass mount. Do yourself a favor, and drill a hole. If you just can't bare to do that, then use a hood seam mount, and a decent dual bander like the Larsen NMO/70BK.

If you go to my web site, and look in the Photo Gallery, you'll see several examples of PTs with various antennas mounted on them, including HF ones.

As for power through the firewall, that's easy too. You just have to know where to look. If no other place, look at the clutch cable grommet (assuming you have an automatic trans), and use it.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W6LPH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »

Thank you, Alan, for the information.  You have a great website with lots of ideas for radio mounting.

I hadn't thought about the glass treatment, but now that you mention it, the on-glass antenna on the other car is mounted on a side rear window and I'm pretty sure it's not passivity treated.

I'll have to give some thought to alternative antenna mounts.  If the car was a standard PT, it would be easy, but as a convertible, it's more problematic. Maybe a trunk lip mount with rotatable base to be installed on the trunk lid....there's a solution out there somewhere and I'm sure I'll find it.

Good suggestion about the clutch boot...it's an automatic, so that might be a good possibility.

Thanks for your help!  We'll keep monitoring and I'll let you know what I come up with...

Bob
W6LPH
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »

hi Bob,

another trick is to follow the hood release
cable at the firewall, it will pass the battery
most of the time on the way to the hood release latch.

#10 THHN will help to keep voltage drop in check.

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: