Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATAS-120 replacement whip  (Read 1602 times)
KE5AMW

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:18:42 PM »

Hopefully there's an easy way to resolve this. I have the ATAS-120 and while scanning on my FT-857, somewhere's along the freeway the whip part of that antenna fell off so now I just have the motorized section of it.

Anyone know where to get replacements (just the whip section) for this thing? Or what to ask for and where?

Any help much appreciated.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 06:30:57 AM »

In a word, Yaesu. The whip really isn't anything special, but in any case you most likely will have to have someone order it. Yaesu's parts department will sell you one directly. You can get all of the telephone numbers off their web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 08:35:01 AM »

Don't know how long your whip was but....

You can buy solid brass rods in many diameters at a hardware store for $2.  The 1/8" ones fit a Hamstick perfectly.  They are usually only 36" long and they are rather soft but will work in a pinch.
VE4AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 04:05:44 PM »

The Larsen commercial NMO use whips that can easily be cut to fit inside the top opening of the the ATAS 120. They are available in stainless  steel and black coated whips( remember to sand off the black coating)first to the bright copper colour before sliding into the atas 120. Some stations don`t even cut the Larsen  whip to exact length and report better performance  due to the whip being longer than the stock whip.
I believe the whip is YAESU part#RA0084400.

Bill VE4AAZ
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 09:21:04 AM »

I bought a generic replacement whip at HRO and measured the length to a new atas 120 while I was there.  this whip wsa slightly larger diameter than the stock on so I drilled out the hole a tad ( couple or 3 thousandths) and it slipped right in and is working well.. this is a no problem problem.
N5ZNO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 07:30:50 AM »

Does anyone know what the length of the whip is for the atas-120a?

I would like to just find a stringer one and cut it to fit.

73's
Tommy
N5ZNO
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »

Saw a friend years ago using a STAINLESS wielding rod on his hamstick.It worked just as well as the original just NO little ball on the tip.

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: