Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hamsticks  (Read 2194 times)
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »

To W3LK, I also include you in this idiot duo. Just because you claim your buddy is an expert, and just because he claims he's an expert doesn't make either one of you experts. College educated no common sense people have done a good job of destroying this country, and your ham license and your years of holding a license do not mean sh*t! You old fart whiners and complainers have held amateur radio back from advancing for years.

When it comes down to the bottom line people, your license doesn't mean anything in the real world, you just think it does. Just take a look at the number of people laughing at you with all your stupid antennas all over the place.

Why don't you try a load of common sense in your life instead of all that dribble you pass around. The bottom line remains, its the number of contacts you make you fools, and where those contacts are, nothing else matters. If the number of contacts do not matter leave your coax unplugged from your rig and admire your antenna, and better yet leave your keyboard unplugged from your computer.  One thing I can say your buddy Alan has said the *** **** dumbest thing I ever heard of in my life. Absolutely no common sense at all.

Dave
AB9PM

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »

Gee, Dave, everyone's an idiot except you, right?

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 04:46:59 PM »

Just you clown's on eham who put people down all the time. If you notice that is why so many people talk about the so called "experts" on eham coming in and ruining the message board. I have read nearly ALL of the past postings on eham.net, and you clowns really know it all here don't you, or so you think?

That is why I would rather talk to a foreigner, any day than talk to an American. American hams are a disgrace to the radio spectrum. A large majority of American hams SUCK, not hamsticks, hams suck! That is why your numbers are falling, and American hams have become nothing more than arrogant, snub nosed jerks.

It didn't take me long to figure out who are the windbags here and ignore them. If you can't address the question directly and keep on topic, then keep your big mouths shut! I do not want to hear all the side bullsh*t, just an asnwer to the direct question.

One last word, anybody can work the world with 1.5 kw and a 200 foot antenna, big deal, try doing it like I do, mobile with my hamstick, now what's more spectacular?

Dave
AB9PM
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WH6C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »

First of all, let me just say that it was kind of a shock to me to read the kind of posts that have been put on here.  The name-calling and such just isn't very "ham-radio-ish" and seems to defeat what the amateur radio service was all about.  I know it was founded on giving us a place for experimentation and the like, but recently it's taken on a different flavor because of the hobby itself has become more "appliance-oriented" than not.  Add to that the influx of a different type of people with the rule changes and we now have a large mix of interests and talents. Yes, we have many more engineers and high-end "experts" that weren't here before because they had a problem in learning CW. I had that problem but worked through it and got my top ticket in 1979. However, I'm not at all an expert in antenna or amplifier design.  Heck, my daughter just got her no-code Extra but couldn't really put up a wire antenna for 40m!  So, some of our newcomers are in that category, but it doesn't make them any less human than the rest of us. This hobby should be for our enjoyment and I really don't think bashing each other is helping to promote it. I once heard someone say that HAM stood for "helping all mankind".  That had a nice ring to it, and I hope we can continue to make that claim.  When we try to "help" someone by pointing out accurate technical information and the person rejects it, so be it. It's their problem if they won't take the advice.

As for me, yes, I run hamsticks on my mobile for now, not because they're great, but because "just getting on HF" was my criteria and I really don't have the money for a better antenna on my old '83 pickup truck. I spent too much just to get the 857D! But, since I do want to run most bands, I am saving up for a screwdriver antenna in the future. I know they're not all the same and some are crappy (of course all the ads say that "theirs is the best") so I'll have to do my homework before I spend $$$ on them.

Anyway, just hope that we all can take a deep breath, calm down, and not spew the kinds of things I've been reading recently.  We should be bonded by our common interest in this hobby, whether we're teachers, engineers, trash collectors, mechanics, or computer science experts. Best to all & Aloha!

Gary
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »

I'm sorry Gary, I just do not bow down to people who self appoint themselves as GOD! Now wouldn't a person "THINK" if I could afford a screwdriver antenna I would own one? Wouldn't a person "THINK" that I already mentioned in the opening statement that hamsticks are not the most efficient? Now given the little investment in the antenna how happily surprised I was that it worked as well as it did, since I stated I wanted it for farting around with? Isn't it amazing that these idiots think that if you don't have a screwdriver antenna you are going to DIE, are lower class, don't belong, the world will end? I think given the investment in the hamstick I am pretty surprised.

Yes the ELITE ham radio class that was written about here on eham NEEDS badly to be licensed, where all of these "ELITE" people be given spectrum to operate ONLY, I vote for 11 meters where they belong!

Happy Hamming!

ALOHA!

Dave AB9PM
N0EQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2008, 04:23:41 AM »

K0BG wrote:
"David, the number of DX contacts you can make means absolutely nothing!"

Here we go again.

Uh, making contacts is the essence of
ham radio.

To suggest otherwise is just plain dumb.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »

To N0EQ

You are a man of common sense who can see the real world, obviously, where your contacts are, and how many you make dictates the hobby. If that little hamstick contacts the stations I am trying for great, good buy, if I am not happy, then try something else. Not every person needs to buy a screwdriver to be happy, at an expense of $600.00, I could homebrew a texas bug catcher for much less, and have fun.

Life is simply NOT defined by analytical statistics.

Thank you Craig for your wise input.

Dave AB9PM
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »

K0BG said - "This begs the question, do you want to operate only when the band conditions are good? Or do you want to operate when the band conditions are marginal? That decision depends on just how much money you're willing to spend."

I'd bet my last dollar on this. Over the years using grey line propagation I've made some awesome contacts with some horrible antennas - especially so on 40 meters. Seems like for a short period you can shoot fish in a barrel.

How much money you want to spend and what do you want to do is the bottom line. I've run Hamsticks a few times and made contacts including breaking into a 75 mtr roundtable, I credit good propagation and skill not the antenna very much.

I recently inquired K0BG about antennas I could mount on my vehicle outside my temporary QTH that doesn't allow antennas. I cringed at the prices of some of what he recommended but I also know that what he recommended is not a fair propagation antenna but one that will be about as efficient as possible from a mobile antenna.

Hamsticks will get you on the air, I do remember clearly touching my 75 mtr stick after a 15 minute QSO and it was uncomfortably warm to touch that running 100 watts to the base of the antenna.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »

Oh I guess the real bottom line is this is a hobby and it is about having FUN. So if what you are doing is legal, is in good engineering practice and you are having fun GO FOR IT and don't look back!
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 03:41:41 PM »

A QST article within the last 12 months provided test results between single-band "hamstick" antennas and motorized, adjustable "screwdriver" antennas. It showed the single-band "hamstick" antennas to be more efficient.

I have a Hamstick for 40 and another for 20 Meters that I use on my pontoon boat. I also bought an extra stinger that I cut down so the 20 M antenna resonates on 17 Meters. They work great for me. On the other hand, I don't think I'd bother with trying an 80 Meter Hamstick. They're just too short. But so are screwdrivers.

DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 05:21:42 AM »

I would like to get my hands on that article, does anyone know what issue that antenna article was in?

Dave
AB9PM
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »

I bought a 17 meter hamstick at the hamfest this morning, and I bought a quad band adapter. With 20 meters on top, 75, 40, and 17 meters laying on its side 2 feet above my van, 40 meter contact to Ohio, 20 meter contact to another mobile in New Mexico, and first call ever on 17 meters Madeira Island (CT3). Saturday morning was (EA8) in the canary Islands. Good thing I didn't buy those inefficient antennas. For under $160, I have a 4 band mobile antenna and all this fun.

Your hypothesis boys doesn't hold water week after week!

73's
Dave
AB9PM
KG4COQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »

Hello,
I use hamsticks for 80,40,20,10,and 6 meters. All perform very well.Mounted on 2 mounts on the rear of my topper the swr is 1.1  to 1.3 at my favorite frequency on each band.Great antennas.
KG4COQ
Tampa Florida U.S.A.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: