Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How far should I be able to talk on 2 M Car to Car  (Read 545 times)
KE7DJQ

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2008, 03:12:26 PM »

Last year I put a trunk mount antenna on my wife's car. It worked OK, but could have been better. This month I drilled her roof and did it right.  It is much better. We can talk simplex from 60 miles away with her in the car and me at home.  The terrain is varied, with mountain ranges on both sides of a valley.

My question is, how far should we be able to talk, car to car?  

I have a Larsen NMO 270SH and she has a Comet EX-104BNMO. Assume 50 W as the max output.  It is also NOT flat where I live, but I would appreciate some ideal numbers, as well as some realistic numbers.

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »

Across the street, and maybe 200 miles if everything was just right.

When it comes to FM, it's the amount of signal that will give you enough SINAD for the detector to work, and that varies all over the board.

More directly, in certain cases, and you have line of sight, you might get 25 miles, maybe a little longer depending on power and the antenna's location. Mountain top to mountain top, maybe 200 miles.

No one can really answer the question with reliability.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 04:26:14 PM »

Since neither of those antennas is little more than a 2 meter 1/4 wave marketed as a dual bander, I'm amazed you do as well as you do.

If you were both using larsen NMO2/70B dual banders,
you would certainly go alot further.
KI4OZG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 10:48:27 AM »

I've used my ICOM V-82 on 7 watts with a (cheap) MFJ 5/8 wave mag-mount and was able to hit a D-STAR repeater a little over 100 miles away...
N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

I think if I where getting reliable simplex communications  at 60 miles distance i would be very satisfied ! Only thing to do now is experiment and see if you can improve upon it.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »

You could spend the rest of your life determining the "realistic numbers".  Be happy to make a 60 mile simplex QSO on 2 mtr FM.

If I told you you should be able to make a 65 mile QSO...then what?  Trade cars, 100 watt radios, new antennas, what?

Mike
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 04:03:58 PM »

With varying terrain and moving stations, this is impossible to predict.

Here in southern CA, I can work 60+ miles "car to car" when the terrain is very flat like in the middle of the San Juaquin Valley, and I've worked over 120 miles "car to car" when one of the two cars involved happened to be driving over a mountain or through a very high mountain pass (which around here can easily be over 5,000 feet high).

But then, drop down the "other side" of that same mountain and it would be difficult to work five miles.

I guess that's what mountaintop repeaters are for.

:-)

WB2WIK/6
KE7DJQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  It appears that are car-to-car performance is satisfactory, given our choice of shorter antennas.  The length of mine is  not optional due to an underground parking garage.
PULLRAFT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 05:24:35 AM »

"My question is, how far should we be able to talk, car to car?".

Answer:

You and your wife should not be able to talk "car to car" at all, it would seem.

A license search for your location does not show your wife as a holder of an amateur radio license.

Any thing to add to your story?
KE7DJQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 06:33:28 PM »

Try again PULLRAFT, only search a little better next time. My wife and I are both hams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: