Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu VX-170 - beep 1 second after press PTT  (Read 1064 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2008, 05:42:39 PM »

Hi - I just bought a VX-170 and am trying to understand all the functions.  There is 1 item that I'm not sure about.

When I press the PTT switch (not the monitor/tone switch below it), the red TX light is displayed and the LCD shows the relevant tx level.  But about 1 second after I press and hold the PTT, I hear a 'beep'.

Since this beep doesn't occur when I initially press the PTT, (as it would if I pressed any of the keypad keys), I'm wondering what is the purpose of this beep, especially since it occurs about 1 second after I press and hold the PTT switch.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Simon
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:20:03 PM »

This is just a shot in the dark because I'm not that familiar with that radio.

Does that radio have a button to activate the "WIRES" internet linking access tone? If so, then maybe what you're hearing is a sidetone of that access tone, which goes out over the air as a single DTMF digit. You can check this by having a friend listen on your frequency to see if he hears a DTMF tone after you key up. If so, consult your manual to see how to turn that function off. I'll bet your tone will go away.

Larry, N2HBX
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:53:42 PM »

WIRES is on.....hear this on the air a dozen times a week. More folks should read the manual before they transmit with their new radios.

EC158

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

Yea Simon, read the manual!

How lame.
KM9X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 07:04:46 AM »

Since no one will post a decent response to this problem, I will present my solution.
I bought a VX-170 since my 20 yr old FT 411 quit.
  After this annoying problem occured to me repeatedly and having no idea why it happened, "reading the manual" was done several times to try to find the problem. The aforementioned useless "wireless" feature is the cause..
  The remedy for a quick fix can be found, and by that, you can figure out the cause, but a solid full time solution seems not to be available!
  I have found that the annoying "beep" is caused by the wireles feature being turned on, even though you dont want it on. This occured by simply pressing the "0" button onece! Thats all! Why in the world would a manufacturer allow a touch of the button on the keyboard render the radio useless is beyond me!
Touch the "0" button and it will go back off and you can use the radio. Touch "0" again and it is back to being useless adn annoying to everyone!
   Fixing this problem seems out of my reach, I could find no way to disable this meaningless radio-wrecking feature.
   I have to lock the keyboard now. That is the only way to stop it. Even just picking it up to transmit, it is too easy to bump the "0".
  Maybe someone will post a permanent solution instead of smart remarks.... hey, anything is possible!
Dan  KM9X
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: