Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: things to consider..  (Read 536 times)
AI4WX

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:54 AM »

I am putting a Yaesu ft 8900 in my 97 jeep cherokee. I'm using Larsen antennas and have a few questions concerning the install. 1. I am using thick aluminum l brackets to mount the antennas on each side of the hood. How good a SWR can i expect from this? it would seem to me that mounting to a small l bracket gives NO ground plane...any thing to do to correct this?

2. i am using Belden rg58a/u 8259 i think it was, will there be any difference between 16 ft and say 10 ft? should i cut off the extra 6 ft or will that not matter?  concerning the rg58 pl259 connector. i tinned the adaptor, then when i pulled the braid over the adaptor i soldered this lightly, then put the main part of the connector over and filled the 4 holes with solder. what can i do to check this coax to make sure it is done properly?

3. is it possible to use the door speakers in your car as the speakers for my yaesu also? i have a kenwood speaker but i am trying to make this install look good and i cant seem to figure out where to put the speaker so that it isnt sticking out and looking gawdy.

4. coax again, i have been reading about some different coax theory and am wondering if things like the electrical length of coax matters in a mobile install.

thanks for reading my questions. i'm trying to learn as best i can
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:34:35 AM »

There is nothing wrong with using the hood seam as a mounting position. Just remember, the Jeep requires a specific bracket.

As for the ground plane, it's directly under the antenna (fender).

Any coax starts getting lossy as the frequency goes up. If you're worried about 1 dB, then cut the excess off, and attach a new PL259.

As for the coax, if it is solid conductor, replace it with a stranded core. The solid core (RG58, Belden 8240) isn't worth the effort.

You should have soldered through the holes. Just heat them back up and make sure the shell is well connected to the sleeve.

I wouldn't use built in speakers if it were mine. Most of the after market speakers are just fine, but I'd use a 3 or 4 inch one, rather than a 2 x 3 or 1 x 2 like most of the cheap ones use. If you can find one, use an old GE or Motorola mobile speaker.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »

If you can't find a convenient spot to mount your speaker in the cab of the vehicle, take a look under the dash.  I have three old Motorola speakers mounted in open spaces under my dashboard.  One points down and the other two point up toward the windshield.  All three sound just fine.  You'll be surprised how much of the speaker's sound gets through the dashboard.  That construction is far from soundproof.

Terry, WØFM
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 01:24:35 PM »

My speakers are mounted on the overhead console in my '03 Windstar.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
AI4WX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »

i took my overhead console down and mounted the speaker inside there. that was an awesome idea lon, now to finish hooking everything up and i should be on the air again.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »

I didn't put the speakers inside - too many doors in the console. Smiley

Mine are mounted on the left side, facing my right ear. I violate Alan's rule about using bigger speakers, although Motorola speakers sound great. I use the 2"x4" cell phone speakers so I won't hit my head on them.

Over the years I have mounted speakers in just about every conceivable location.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »

No really wanting to blow a hole in someone's theory....

If we're talking about SSB, probably the most tiring aspect is the high frequency hash we all have to listen to. DSPs are good, but they aren't a perfect cure.

After many years of using a passive lowpass filter, I've switched to a SCAF-1. It's adjustability is superior to a passive filter obviously. However, not everyone wants to lay out $125 for a filter, so here's a tip. Mount the speaker under the driver's seat, pointed up. This will boost the lows and attenuate the highs, making listening much easier on the ears.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:56:17 PM »

I ran an FT-8900 into 2 antennas on both side of the fenders of my Dodge Ram Turbodiesel. 6,2,70cm on one side, and 10m on the other.  I used a pair of bracket mounts made exclusively for the truck, and mounted it to a fender bolt under the hood.  These worked fine.  If you're using NMO mounts (which I hope you are), and if you live in an area which salts the roads in the winter, I highly recommend potting the underside of the mount with silicone sealant.  Hurry up, 10 and 6 meter Es season will be starting up very soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: