Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu VX-8R - "Ready for Repair" out of  (Read 1336 times)
VE7EPP

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:21:13 PM »

I bought a Yaesu VX-8R.  I really like all the features but it is too bad that it doesn't work.  Yaesu told me to send it for repair and they won't replace it.  The battery indicator shows full or it shuts off with no indication of battery life left.  Not only that, the 5 hours listening time, yes, not transmit time, but listening time is useless especially since it takes over 6 hours to charge the battery.  What a joke Yaesu.  They want me to send it for repairs which would take 20 days from the day they receive it.. yes, a month without the radio that is NEW and has to be sent in for repairs.  Yaesu said their policy is to repair it.  Thanks Yaesu for standing behind your products.  
Yaesu - "Ready for Repair" Right out of the box.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 05:28:10 AM »

I don't know what dealer you purchased it from, and actually how long you have owned it. Most dealers (not all) will take back units that fail in the first few days of ownership. After a week or two, your only recourse is to send it back for repair.

The OEM battery is 1,100 mAH, and the upgrade is 1,800 mAH. There is also a rapid charger available. The unfortunate part is, you can't exchange or upgrade them at time of purchase!

These facts are why I ask a LOT of questions, up front, when I buy amateur gear. You can not assume anything. It is also why I don't buy from small dealers whose sales methodology is lowballing.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »

I had a similar experience with a VX-3
It died after 3 days use.

I simply exchanged it for the much more reliable
VX-6 and couldn't be happier.

As I have posted, the VX-8 comes with a SMALLER battery than the VX-6 and VX-7 did.

And the 1500mah battery on them still has fairly short life so I guessed that the stock VX-8 battery would be a disappointment.
YAESUSERVICE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »

Hmm No update??
VE7EPP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »

I sent the radio in today to Yaesu.  Based on my discussion with Scott at Yaesu, I think they'll take care of it.  I can't wait to get it back.  The radio really has great features.. now that I don't have it and am using the VX-7R again I noticed how much I like the independant volume control to say the least.  One think I will absolutely have to invest in is another battery and a quick charger.  What a nice radio and I am sure that this one is just buggy because they wouldn't release it if it was this bad with power.  I have to believe that because I really like my Yaesu radios.  Fix me up Scottie(at Yaesu Service)
VE7EPP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:07:59 PM »

Well, as it turns out, the battery issue as you guys mention is all it is.  The battery meter is not inline as they told me so the battery indicator won't gradually go down to warn you but I guess with the rest of the features that the radio has the indicator won't bother me.  I ordered a few batteries so I won't have a problem.  They are sending the radio back.. I can't wait to get it and try APRS.
KC6DSE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:34:17 PM »

I bought one at HRO and they said 2 out of 800 were dead out of the box.
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:54:47 AM »

Anytime I get a product that is defective I call right away and tell them I want an exchange or refund. Ususally the quicker you contact them the better. The only retailer I have ever had problems with was AES in Orlando.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: