The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about antena completing the radio circuit  (Read 877 times)
KE5MJS

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:09:55 PM »

Hi all! I've recently installed a 2M into my truck and am going through a 2M antenna mounted on the front fender (temporarily, until i solve this problem). When I connect the antenna to the radio and connec the positive wire to the battery, the radio will power up! I hadn't noticed this with previous set-ups so I'm confused as to whether this is normal or not. Anyone have any advice? The antenna is an NMO mounted on a bracket thats attached to the finder at the hood seam.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

Do you have the negative power lead connected directly to the battery?
KE5MJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

No. just the red wire and the antenna.  the radio works fine with black n red connected, but will also power up with just red and the antenna.
KE5MJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »

No. just the red wire and the antenna.  the radio works fine with black n red connected, but will also power up with just red and the antenna.
KE5MJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »

N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »

You need to have the black (-) and red (+) wires run directly to the battery.  In the scenario you're describing, the radio is relying on the coax shield to complete the 12vdc circuit. Not a good thing when you're drawing 10-12 amps on transmit.
KE5MJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:13:43 PM »

Well i know that, but what im asking is if its normal for that to happen? Or is my antenna system messed up?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 06:05:23 AM »

It's normal. The chassis of the radio is connected to the negative lead as is the coax shield.

This "problem" would have been easy to figure out if you would have used a DVM to measure the continuity of the leads. Or, you could have read the schematic.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE5MJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »

thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: