Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 706MKIIG CUTS OUT AT TIMES  (Read 1119 times)
KE7WLF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 01:31:29 PM »

I was using a remote cable as well, but when I removed it from the vehicle, we attached the face plate and the issue was still there.
Thank You for the Idea.
The radio is at Malcom Technical Support. He diagnosed it as the PLL's and is repairing them. I should have the radio back in a week or so, depending on the holiday schedule.
I will post my findings when I receive the radio back. Mr. Malcom has been great in answering my e-mails and is extremly helpful.
Thank You everyone for your thoughts and ideas.
Ham Radio Rocks!!!
WB6ARE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »

I'm experiencing the same problems. The 706 sputters and then the RX audio just goes away for about two minutes.  This happens on both RX and TX and it does not appear to be temperature related.

Have you found out what causes this problem?

Thank you
Bruce WB6ARE
KE7WLF

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 06:16:53 AM »

I was very pleased with Mr. Malcolm's repair & advice.
Here is a list of what he did.

There are 3 probable causes for this symptom.  
1) Partially burned power up limit resistor.  To check this resistor, the PA unit needs to be lifted, as the resistor is on the bottom side of the PCB.
2) Weak Voltage buss feed through points.  I have seen this before, but I can also usually duplicate the symptoms with time. (So far I have not been able to do so)
3) Resistive DC pins on the DC cord.  The female pins should look like a "O" they may look like a "C", if so, this can cause a couple of ohms in the DC lead, which cold, isn't enough to cause a problem, but as current passes through the resistive pins, they heat, and get more resistive, until the voltage drops below the radio's ability to operate, and it shuts off.  When it shuts off, the pins immediately start to cool, where now the voltage rises, and the radio turns back on (its last remembered state) where the whole cycle starts over.  The fix is to make the pins look like a "O" again.

If you could check your power cord for this it will help.  In the mean time, I would recommend I inspect the resistor, and rework the "normally found" weak spots.  Then return the radio and "see what happens".  Now if you find the DC cord pins are really wide "C"'s then that is most likely the problem and the servicing of "suspected" bad points wouldn't be necessary.

I feel that Fix #3 is what fixed my radio. Mr. Malcolm charged me a small fee, which I feel was appropriate. He kept my radio for 5-6 weeks, which I asked him too. I have pictures of my power cable and the most probable cause of the intermittent condition I was having.

I do recommend him highly as he advised me more and offered more solutions than Icom did itself. Icom charged me even more than Mr. Malcolm and wouldn’t keep the radio to test it longer than 2 weeks and didn’t offer any other suggestions.

I hope this helps
Victor
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 06:28:41 AM »

I've owned 4 different Icom IC-706 transceivers, worked on numerous others, and this is the first time I have ever heard of a bad, factory power cord. Had a couple of home brew ones, one of which was wired wrong, but not factory. I've never seen a blown resistor either.

In my book, the single factor has been the final, especially the early ones. Transmit into an open load, and bingo! They handle shorts much better, but not that much better.

Probably the most exasperating failure of all, are the inter-PCB, jumpers. After you work on a radio a couple of times, they get intermittent, and all sorts of maladies crop up as a result. So, nowadays, you're better of replacing the radio as the parts and labor to fix them cost more than the radio is worth.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE7WLF

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:10 AM »

There is a first time for everything.
The radio used to cut out all the time, now since the power cord pins have been repaired to make better contact, the radio has been flawless. The radio was just layed under my drivers seat and the boucing around may have contributed to the flexing of the power cord and the bending of the pins. I have now securley attched it to the floor and so far so good.
If the problem ever arrises again, I'll be sure to explore other ideas expressed in this forum, but for now.....100% truoble free. Thanks everyone on e-ham.
PULLRAFTT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 05:58:18 PM »

by W3LK on November 7, 2008    
<< Make double sure your antennas are well grounded on the vehicle.>>
""I don't see anywhere that this is a mobile installation. Smiley""

by Pullraftt:

Don't see anywhere that this is NOT a mobile installation, so why even mention it? Smiley  

-zw
KE7WLF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 07:27:57 AM »

Yes, the antenna is well grounded and this was POSTED under the MOBILE HAM FORUM.

THE PROBLEM WITH MINE WAS THE POWER CABLE PINS, they were not round "O" the looked like a "C" instead. I closed them down and secured the radio to the floor of the VEHICLE (MOBILE)and all has been well.
Thanks everyone for your input...case closed :-)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 06:47:38 AM »

NEXT TIME, BUY A YEASU!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 06:49:52 AM »

OOPS, THAT'S YAESU, BUT GO GET ONE AND SELL THE ICOM AS PARTS!
KE7WLF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 07:34:31 AM »

"NEXT TIME, BUY A YAESU!"

Ya.....NO! Radio fixed and is flawless. I have a VX7R as well and love that radio too.
All is good no need to sell or buy anything.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: