Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mobile cell antenna  (Read 335 times)
MAYOR

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:10:51 PM »

i've been seeing alot of cell phone antennas on mobiles and was wondering how mucht hey really help and if they are easy to set up.
anyone ever use 1 or have 1 on your mobile rite now.
thanks
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 03:58:36 AM »

In the early days, they were ubiquitous, and a necessity. As networks have switched over to G2 and now G3 technology, they're no longer a necessity. However, there are after-market companies making devices for handhelds to "drop into" which are connected to an outside antenna. They amount to a passive repeater, and are more hype than useful.

There are also stubby, glass-mounted antennas for both amateur and commercial frequencies. They're about as useless as the aforementioned.

You could be seeing either one or other similar ones, and assuming they're cellphone antennas, when they're not. Easy mistake too, as they look very similar.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

MAYOR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:03:49 AM »

well thank you for the help.
i just didn't want to buy a set up and it not be worth a damn.
you just saved me my $$
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »

If it is a "good" antenna mounted properly, it might help--a little.

Years ago I installed a cell phone mobile kit with an external antenna and it made a world of difference for my T-Mobile phone. I lived in the sticks at the time and that company had fewer towers in my area at the time.

But these days with 3 GHz use, I don't think it would be cost effective.

It would be wiser to choose a good carrier according to coverage in your area.

I won't say which one it is, but in most areas of the country, one carrier beats the others hands down. For example, in Houston during and after IKE we never lost service from that carrier for voice and email. Not once. (Your mileage may vary.)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »

Correction. My carrier those years ago was not T-Mobile. It was "Voicestream," and a few years later it was bought by Deutsche Telekom and renamed "T-Mobile."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: