Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antennas for use with RV Trailers  (Read 544 times)
W4LWZ

Ignore
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:28:27 AM »

I have just purchased a 5th wheel travel trailer and I intend to equip it with both HF and VHF/UHF rigs.  The VHF/UHF antennas won't present much of a problem, but I am wondering what would be best for HF.  The rig will only be used when I am parked and I could use an off the RV antenna like a Buddipole.  I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:23:29 PM »

Depends on the bands, but I can tell you what will work, and that's a decent vertical. A 4,5, or 6 BTV will work great if the body is made of aluminum. The only thing you'll have to fashion is a hinge, and some way to hold the top down when it is folder over. The best place to put is, is as close to the ladder as you can (hopefully yours has a ladder. Just don't mount it on the ladder,as it's about the worse place in terms of ground loss.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KE5YRF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »

I use a Comet CHA250B on my motor home. It breaks up into small enough segments to store in the basement while travelling and only takes 10 or so minutes to assemble. I have it attached to a telescoping pole that has been cut to fit in the basement and I attach the pole to the ladder when in use. I always drive a ground rod in just to make sure I'm grounded and attach it to the pole with flat braid. I've made contacts all over with excellent reports.
KC3EF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »

I have seen some RV's that use a regular HF verticle antenna attached to the ladder.  I am installating a marine hf ssb antenna with a tuner to us when parked.  I also carry wire, insulators, etc to put up dipoles or wire antennas when parked.  I have not decided on what type of antenna to use for HF mobile.

73's
Dick
QRZDXR2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:42:01 AM »

I agree with K0BG.    I have used a 4/5/6 btv on the back of my airstream 31 footer for years... and it works great... however that being said.. I have seen others with the Hi Sierra or more expenive Hi Q antennas also mounted on the roof line.   Most of these are metal trailers.  Today a lot of them are fiberglass and so you need to provide a ground plain for the antenna.

Any horz stuff is almost basically out.  Inverted V ground mounted also works but then you have the trip factor where the wires come down...

No the hustler 4/5/6 works pretty good.. un guy'ed ..  Now the next door neighbor that just moved in is using one of them fiberglas 30 ft poles.. he says that he has a wire inside and uses a tuner to load it up... that too would work well

Will depend on how much you want to spend and how you want to mount it. (big factors)

Most use the flagpole hidden radio methode also so that when they go away the little eyes don't come to stay.  If you know what I mean.  Their the fiberglass flag pole is the better way to have your antenna.

good luck

73's
N7BDL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »

qrzdxr2:  How did you mount the 4btv to the back of your Airstream?  Do you have any pctures?

Thanks
N7BDL
K4EAK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »

I never really operated all that much from the RV, but I did do a few field days from my trailer while at campgrounds. Since my trailer was made of fiberglass, I couldn't use the best options. Some of things I used:
 - Mostly I used a hamstick dipole, mounted to a Home Depot extendable 15-foot painter's pole, attached to the RV hitch with u-bolts. Worked well enough on 20- and 40-meters.
 - A couple times I hung a dipole between two trees (in a V-shape if the campsite wasn't wide enough). Standard method: I shot fishing weights attached to nylon line using a slingshot. Never had any problems and even had a park ranger come by curious about what I was doing. I showed him my rig, let him make a contact, and then he came back several times to follow by progress. I think I may have birthed a ham in the process.
 - I used a variety of mobile HF antennas mounted on the tow vehicle.
 - I tried mounting mobile antennas to the ladder, but even with a ground strap run between the ladder and the steel frame under the trailer body, it never seemed to work very well.

Hope that helps,
Skip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: