Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Longest Mobile Contact?  (Read 1857 times)
KC5VUW

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:15 AM »

So I was just wondering.  What is longest mobile contact people have made?  My longest was about 4076 miles from Fayetteville, NC to Maldegem, Belgium this morning.  This was from my mobile to a fixed location.  I was running an Icom 706mkIIg with about 100 watts into a homebrew fullsized screwdriver.  How about you?

Tim Pettigrew (previously KC5VUW)
W5TWP
N4HRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:44:08 AM »

While I was on the road as a Field Engineer I was on I85 in north east Ga and worked Russia, runing 100W with a Tempo 2020 going 75mph
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »

Longest mobile QSO for me??  Almost 2 hours.  

Enroute from Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri to my home QTH.

Terry, WØFM
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »

Furthest QSO worked Australia on 40M running 100W and a Yaesu ATAS (he had a quad beam).  Longest QSO was almost 3 hours on 40M CW between KC, MO and Des Moines on I-35 with a station in TX.  Most memorable, worked Poland on 12M with no one else on the band and on the drive back from Dayton one year snagged W1AW CW mobile on 20M, QRP.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »

Hummmm! Longest in terms of distance? Or time? Or longest in terms of boring subject matter?

I have worked Heard Island several times from various locations, all of which were about 12,000+ miles. This is about as far as you can talk from any two locations on the face of the earth.

I had one conversation in about 1975 which lasted for nearly 8 hours, including two stops for gas. But that doesn't hold a candle to two friends who traveled from Ohio to LA, and talked nearly the whole time.

Then just last week, I had a conversation which lasted about 40 to 50 seconds, that was about as boring as any I have ever had. When I hear "QSL-QSL-QSL", and "Roger That" three times each in that length of time, I just pulled into my driveway, even if I'm 100 miles from home!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:58:12 PM »

I routinely work Hawaii mobile on 20 meters SSB and probably my best DX contact was busting a pileup to work a LY2 station using 100 watts and a Hustler MO-4.
KB2SEO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 04:33:41 AM »

Southern Australia near the Peak of the last sunspot cycle. I wasn't paying attention to the call at first I thought they were a Canadian station! I was running 20 watts into a Wilson 1000 magnet mount on my old Mitsubishi Montero (Before they became yuppie transporters) I was fishing on Island Beach St. Park on the Jersey Shore Late in the afternoon. monitoring for my best friend Scott, then KB2TXE (He took his dad's call- my elmer after he SK) 28.320, the rig was a "mono band" (pseudo CB) Emperor TS 5010, It's the beacon now at 28.138. Still Virgin too! Recently I worked a station on the Isle of Man from my Jeep Wrngler, 20 meters, Hamstick Yaesu FT757 GXII @ 90 watts.
KB2SEO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 04:36:14 AM »

Opps, For got to mention- The Longest running QSO I had was with Scotty, Again I was on Island Beach and he was at his home in Pt. Pleasant- We gabbed for 2 hours, In between me checking the bait and tossing back the occasional sea robins.
KC5VUW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »

Ok.  So I forgot that "longest" could mean distance, or time.  Plenty of good stories out there.  I can't imagine talking on the radio all the way from Ohio to Louisiana!  I broke a bit of a pileup this morning and got into Lithuania.  Distance of almost 4700 miles.  

Tim Pettigrew
W5TWP
(formerly KC5VUW)
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »

One important fact to remember Tim, is the number or distance of any contact, DX or otherwise, has little to do with any antenna parameter, including efficiency. All a log book entry proves is the band was open between the two sites.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

NH7L

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 01:41:20 PM »

Quite a few hams in Hawaii operated parked mobile, usually close to saltwater, because of housing restrictions. Contacts that would be hard to believe anywhere else are pretty routine. It's about thousands of miles of saltwater in every direction.

When there are some sunspots, even just a few, winter long-path phone QSOs with the Middle East are doable with 100 watts and a mag-mounted  Hamstick at the beach. And they'll usually give you a 5/7 or a 5/9. That's 16,500 miles. How can that be possible? Well, there's an all-saltwater great circle path between here and southern Africa.

The surfing and the girls here are better than they are anywhere. Same goes for the DX.
KC5VUW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »

All I'm trying to do is stir up conversation.  I'll try to refrain from that in the future.

TIm Pettigrew
W5TWP
NX7U

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »

I've worked 300+ DXCC and 5BWAZ in the last 9 years of mobile operation.  Longest probably were long-path QSOs from Arizona to ZS or northern EU, although it's hard to be sure since you don't really know the exact path taken.  My prides-and-joys are probably VK6 or LA (Norway), both on 75m...or maybe Arizona to ZD7 on 6m SSB!
When the band is open and you have a reasonable antenna installation, you can truly work the world!

Scott NX7U in DM43
W8NYY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 06:51:17 PM »

My best two contacts mobile in the last 6 months were Israel on 20 meters and Australia on 40 meters from my location in NW Ohio. And I credit K0BG for his help in setting up my mobile station correctly.  His advice on his website and via my numerous email requests for help were right on.
I'm running a Yaesu FT-857D to a Tarheel 100A-HP using a SGC SG-500 amp powered with an Optima Red Top battery and a Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Capacitor.
By the way, I worked Israel barefoot.
W8NYY
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:41 AM »

The farest ever talk on 20 meters is Italy ! on my first contact on this tarheel antenna.i had 15 min break barly have 1 contact made then time was up !

Jackie
KG4ORX
Tullahoma,Tn
WWW.KG4ORX.COM
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: