Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any kind of safety lighting on vehicle?  (Read 4357 times)
KA1MZY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:51 AM »

+1 The light-whackers need to stay home, and out of the way.

>RE: Any kind of safety lighting on vehicle?       Reply
>by K8QV on April 10, 2009    Mail this to a friend!
>
>Hams and their tricked out vehicles are neither needed >nor wanted at emergency scenes. Unless you are >officially providing medical assistance or towing >disabled vehicles, let the properly trained and >equipped pros do their jobs without interference. >Intrusion by radio hobbyists who want to be part of the >action makes for very bad PR and is an embarrassment >for the rest of us.

ISSAQUAHWA1979

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 10:12:10 AM »

Wow amazing the attitude of some of you...  This has digressed to calling someone with some form of emergency lighting names...  I noticed a few who responded are back east and maybe that has something to do with it in the flat lands but for the poster who said 2 times in 40 years would not fly here.  

Not to say that most of the PD's have gone way past overboard to the extent of blinding people at night but to say that by having something in use while in the middle of the road to help someone that person should just stay home is ridiculous. And if the attitude from PD and fire were what you say then the few times I have been in those situations I don't think I would have been thanked by California Highway Patrol or Washington State Patrol.

I know there are a lot of people out there who add this stuff because they are cop wannabes or cop chasers etc.  But don't classify everyone into one group and call them names.
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »

I can not think of any reason why someone other than law enforcement would need these on their vehicle.
KB3SJV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »

Hi, I am Bicycle mobile!!! My dad (im 14) owns a bike shop, and he does work for the local, and surrounding PDs. A local department sold my dad 3 "cop" bikes equipped with NITE-RYDER Lights and sirens, as well as saddle bags to hold first aid kits, tickets, ect... Im going to get my paws on one of those systems and equip my bike with this sweet gear. and for the finishing touch add a 2m/440 antenna to the back on a homemade mount!

KB3SJV - John
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 06:53:01 PM »

And a 14-year old _NEEDS_ NITE-RYDER "cop" lights and a siren on his bicycle WHY???

This is just the kind of nonsense many of us have been writing against. If you dad is smart, he'll throw a very large bucket of cold water on this idea before you make a fool of yourself.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »

OK, here's another thread that didn't deserve to degrade into nonsense, but it did. Sheesh.

For what it's worth, in NY I got stopped by a cop for plowing my driveway using a pickup truck without a "emergency light". He said that my 4-way flashers were NOT enough.

(Of course I am/was well aware a red strobe would have been too much!)

Mostly, I'd guess, if you aren't being a jerk, and not using red lights, you are probably OK. And surely some will overdo anything they do, but does that mean we have to use eHam to spew about it?

Yeah, I suppose it does. After all, some can't help getting "Internet muscles" when at the keyboard.

Mike N2MG
webmaster  

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

Which is the nonsense, Mike, the guy that says ARES and RACES and CERT _communicators_ need some kind of emergency cop-style lighting or those of use who have real experience in non-first-responder emergency response who recommend against it?

Or were you referring the 14-year old who is hot to put lights and a siren on his bicycle?

If you or eHam cares about "nonsense" being posted, read some of the so-called articles eHam publishes and the asinine responses to them. Try exercising some editorial judgement and refuse to publish them.

As much as I like eHam, it's still the Jerry Springer of ham-related web sites. Smiley

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
JLEVERIN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 08:29:22 PM »

Geez, where are you guys from? You sound like some of the "light police" on a couple of other forums I've visited lately. I'm certainly not for a bunch of blinky lights on one's POV unless it is absolutely needed but why is everyone jumping on this guy just for asking a question? At least he's asking and not just putting a bunch of illegal crap on his vehicle. The ones that make me mad are the ones who put 15 kinds of lights on their vehicle and a siren and then try to JUSTIFY why they need it, like security calling themselves "law enforcement officers" and such. Literally making themselves out to me more than they are.(Posers) No, legitimate first responders probably don't want a ham operator they didn't call for showing up and getting in the way. But not everyone who shows up on these forums and asks questions is a whacker, in fact I noticed most real whackers don't ask questions, they merely want to show off how "official" they are.
ISSAQUAHWA1979

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2009, 01:55:20 AM »

Wow W3LK I am glad you can put words in my mouth since I don't ever recall saying that someone NEEDS to put anything on their vehicle in fact if you read my post it was a QUESTION!  

And to respond to an earlier statement about not being first responders maybe in your town CERT is not but here where we have a whopping 9 on-duty fire and rescue personnel for I cannot think of how many thousands of people WE ARE the first responders in a major disaster when the 9 who are spread all over creation cannot get to us with the downed bridges or whatever the case may be. And that is no justification for anything just a correction to yet another stab in the dark.

And I certainly do not support the 14 year old for what he wants to do he will end up in jail for police impersonation.  

Thanks to those couple of people who have responded with what seem like uncommon-common sense on this forum a select few seem to think that because you have something on your vehicle you are trying to be someone, hopefully some day when those people need someone to help them it is nowhere to be found because us "whackers" all are hiding in their garages. For the rest of the world I hope other readers are capable of seeing what my questions were and those responses other than the know-it-alls who feel the need to attack honest people just asking a question.  Possibly I made a bad choice for posting on this forum as it appears many have a "my way or the highway" approach.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009, 06:24:06 AM »

A couple of things:

The OP is not simply asking a question. If you read ALL his posts, he IS advocating emergency lighting, other than 4-way flashers, for non-first responders. He gives his justifications and several of us responded. It's a legitimate difference of opinion - his based on the fact that he used to sell emergency lighting and has his vehicle so equipped and perceives a need that this is a good idea.

Most of the contrary responses are based on experience from the respective posters. Mine comes from many years as an emergency disaster response director for one of the major served agencies that dispatches response vehicles to local and wide-spread disaster/emergency situations. With 17 such vehicles under my supervision, I haven't seen a SINGLE instance in the last 20 years that required law enforcement-style emergency lighting in furtherance of their  mission.

<< Wow W3LK I am glad you can put words in my mouth since I don't ever recall saying that someone NEEDS to put anything on their vehicle in fact if you read my post it was a QUESTION! >>

I never said you said they were NEEDED; I said they were unnecessary for non-first responders.

<< And to respond to an earlier statement about not being first responders maybe in your town CERT is not but here where we have a whopping 9 on-duty fire and rescue personnel for I cannot think of how many thousands of people WE ARE the first responders in a major disaster when the 9 who are spread all over creation cannot get to us with the downed bridges or whatever the case may be. And that is no justification for anything just a correction to yet another stab in the dark.  >>

Call yourself anything you want to, but being the first one on the scene of anything does not make you a first-responder. Legitimate first-responders are dispatched to a scene by officials tasked with such responsibilities. If you are so dispatched, then, indeed, you are a first responder. If not, then you are, at best, support personnel and at worst, well-intentioned people who show up at emergency scenes.

I'm through with this discussion.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

KB3SJV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »

Ok cool it guys, I was just kidding about installing the lights!!! I kinda started a fiasco!! hihi. But, I did install a 2m/70cm antenna on the back to increase reception while mobile.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 07:53:35 AM »

You are forgiven!

That said, I have a grandson who WOULD try it! Smiley

His dad's a Navy spook, so I don't think he would get very far with the idea.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

K5END

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »

"That said, I have a grandson who WOULD try it! Smiley

His dad's a Navy spook, so I don't think he would get very far with the idea."

"His dad" would be your son or son-in-law?

In Texas the emergency lighting statutes are clear for the most part. You can find it on the net so I won't quote the law ver batim.

Apparently the big violations here are "alternating" lights and red lights on the front of the vehicle. If your lights alternate left to right, no matter what the color or location on the vehicle, you're gonna get a ticket, or worse.

It's worth pointing out "emergency" lights are not for you unless you are a first responder.

The way it is written in this state, they are "HAZARD" lights, which is exactly what they are supposed to indicate and communicate to oncoming motorists, when you are PARKED on the roadway.

That means your only mission in life is to warn other people that you are now--by definition--a "HAZARD" in the traffic right of way, which is a hazardous thing to do regardless of your good intentions.

I have nothing against storm spotters or storm chasers for that matter (they are not the same thing.) The stormies I know are very responsible and law-abiding people, and a couple of them are very good Amateur ops who can beat the Code pants of off most CW ops anywhere. Funny, but I never see them wasting time here on the fora. Hmmm....what does that tell us?

But then there are the loser "light-whackers" too (that term and its etymology are hilarious--who started that?)

For bicyclists, I would think the more rear lighting, the better, especially at night.

KB3SJV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 08:46:03 AM »

Well I have a detachable head-lamp, and tail-lamp for night riding, (I do a lot of it) and I installed a NMO mounted 2m/440 antenna on the rear rack. to mount this I drilled a hole in the rack, and it works great! its about a 47" antenna so people look! Can you spot the ham here? But I dont mind!! I have my HT on a hommade mount on the handlebars, and I use a speaker mic to talk. thats my bicycle mobile, for a different fourm. Like I said, all I use an really for lioghting is a headlight, and a tail light.
some may say I dont need an antenna for my bike but I come back and say why have one on your car, or motorcycle. the argument is with the HT the antenna has to be completely vertical, well when Im riding, its not the easyest thing to do. well Im too far off topic to continue!!!!

73s,
KB3SJV
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »

"NMO mounted 2m/440 antenna ... a 47" antenna"

That sounds a bit like the Larsen.

Good antenna.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: