Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any kind of safety lighting on vehicle?  (Read 4419 times)
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »

"I used to be with a Mountain SAR team"

Sorry, go fish. That doesn't count as community service unless you have whacker lights and patches on your vest. Just helping people isn't enough, you gotta have the bling. How else can you pick up the slack for those lazy cops and firemen?

Bad Ham!!!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2009, 08:13:10 PM »

Notice that K8QV can't give us any information on his supposed experience or expertise on this subject, because he has none. All we get from him is repeated old geezer rant! His buddy is not much better and just as close minded. I guess at their age they have just shut down and quit learning anything, but are experts on everything, in their minds.

Hams engaged in community service are "bad hams," he says. Well, those of us with real public safety experience know better. We have actually been on both sides of the fence, instead of spending our time in an armchair. No, you don't need safety lighting on an armchair, so you both are in luck!

By the way, if you had ever attended as many city council meetings as I have, you would know there is usually one council member that always votes no on everything in case something goes wrong (so he can say he voted against it next election, even though he knows it will pass) or because he has a personal ax to grind with a certain group or person. Most "normal" folks consider them harmless crackpots. But that would be "normal" folks. On this thread the crackpots are being praised. Pretty scary!
KG4UPR

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »

Detailed definition of terms for Whacker (Types A-D), Wannabe, Pseudo Wannabe, and Impostor:

http://www.policeposers.com/whacker.php

Informative, hilarious, and troubling.
K8QV

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 02:01:13 PM »

http://www.policeposers.com/whacker.php

Informative, hilarious, and troubling.

Great site, thanks!

I just hope the whackers will go to the site and take the test.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2009, 06:22:39 AM »

The policeposer.com site is an example of a person with an uncontrolled compulsion (like the two posters we have here) who is obsessed with others that he believes are compulsive. Basically, he is a troll with his own web site, who admittedly could get no attention or support rewriting state vehicle lighting laws. He has been publishing his current site for years and is frustrated because he still cannot control the behavior of others. A sad example of a wasted life.

His position is weakened by the fact he does not identify himself nor give any information on his professional experience, most likely because he has none. His position is further weakened by the fact that his web site is supported with vehicle emergency light companies that are advertising in the borders of the pages. He is against people he believes are obsessed with safety lighting and install them on their vehicles, but he is selling it on his site? What is that about? Most likely, he owns one or more of the listed light companies. Not too mental!

This guy criticizes police officers, firemen, security officers (there are ten of them for every 1 full time police officer in the U.S.) and volunteers, because they have equipped themselves for emergencies and lumps them in with police imposters. He apparently is mentally unable to distinguish between them. This suggests he has some issue with authority figures, that could go all the way back to potty training.

If I have an emergency at my house (and I am not home) I don't care how many emergency lights the first responder has on his vehicle, I just want him to get there! I also don't care if he is a volunteer policeman, fireman or medic. If he is the closest, send him!

Of course, our two trolls here are in awe of this other troll and his perceived power, who has wasted years of his time with this web site criticizing people who help others in our society. A genuine case of troll envy, to be sure!  
KD7YVV

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »

Hi IssaquahWa1979,

You're probably going to find that there are many varied
opinions posted in answer to your query.

My opinion on the subject is this:
If you are a bicyclist riding at night, it is good to
have good, dependable forward lighting so you can see
where you are going.
It is also good to have rear red steady and/or flashing
lights so you can be seen by motorists approaching you
from behind. A dayglo vest also helps increase visibility.

In the trunk of the car, I do have a dayglo green vest.
It's not there because I want to look "cool" or impress
anyone. I'm originally from NJ and people from there
really could give a rat's butt what others think of
them.
The vest is there so, that if I DO come upon an accident
scene and professional first responders are not yet
on the scene, that vest is worn to make me more visible
to drivers coming upon the accident scene.
This is for MY safety.

For those not from the Issaquah, Washington area,
interstate 90 can be quite dark in places when heading
over Snoqualmie Pass eastbound from Seattle to
Eastern WA. If you DO happen to find yourself involved
in, or assisting in the scene of an accident, one of
the first things you MUST do if you assist is to insure
your own safety first. Taking Murphy's law into account,
if they can't see you, they WILL hit you even if all
other highway lanes are wide open.

For those that haven't taken first aid/CPR training
and CERT training, I would highly recommend it.
Not only do you gain some good knowledge and experience,
you get to see how the professional responders work
too.

As far as flashing lights go, people driving tend
to fixate on flashing lights. I think this makes them
more of a hazard than road flares.
Most people are familiar with the 4 way hazard lights
on cars today. They're also familiar with flashing
red/blue/green lights on police, fire and ambulances.
A flashing or rotating light on a vehicle with no
other markings may confuse drivers.
Unconsciously, they'd be trying to figure out what
kind of car you are. Now their attention is on your
flashing/rotating lights and not on the road where it
should be. Even though I'm trained in CPR/First Aid
and can render assistance at an accident scene,
when I took that training, they didn't hand me a
red, green, blue, amber, white, or any other color
light for the car. Guess I don't need one.

I think of it this way. Police/Fire/Medical have
sirens for a reason. They have specific colors of
lights for a reason. Utility workers have flashing
lights for a reason.
If everyone had flashing lights and sirens, they'd
become so commonplace that the public would tend to
ignore them after a while. Want proof? Watch the
people around you the next time a car alarm goes off.
Dollars to doughnuts, they won't even take note of it.

The lights are meant to be a warning to the public.
Everyone having them makes that warning less effective.

Am I an experienced professional first responder?
Heck no, I'm just a chronic knob twiddler who likes
to enjoy ham radio. Do I have experience to render
aid at an accident scene? Yes, I do, but I don't go
out looking for accidents.

--KD7YVV, Kirkland, WA

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2009, 03:15:09 AM »

KD7YVV, as a suggestion, I would make sure that your day glo vest has the reflective strips for higher visibility at night, some of these bright colored traffic vests can't be seen in the dark. A good led flashlight in the car is also a must, so you can see and be seen and it comes in useful for your own breakdowns.

Also, if you are concerened enough about your fellow man that you will stop to help at an accident scene, I would also suggest that you get a good first aid kit (sometimes Big Lots has them at a discount) and add whatever it doesn't include. Buy a spring loaded punch at the hardware store for taking out windows, in case occupants are trapped inside the car in a dangerous situation and need to be removed, and keep it in the first aid kit.

As far as flashing light attraction or distraction, that is an old wive's tail, like global warming. If any credible study had ever conclusively shown this to be a fact, police and fire departments would order all of their personnel not to use them for safety and liability reasons at accident scenes. That has not happened for common sense reasons. At the very least, park way off the road and use your car's emergency flashers!      
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2009, 03:21:59 AM »

KD7YVV, as a suggestion, I would make sure your day glo vest has the reflective strips for higher visibility at night, some of these bright colored traffic vests can't be seen in the dark. A good led flashlight in the car is also a must, so you can see and be seen and it comes in useful for your own breakdowns.

Also, if you are concerned enough about your fellow man that you will stop to help at an accident scene, I would suggest that you get a good first aid kit (sometimes Big Lots has them at a discount) and add whatever it doesn't include. Buy a spring loaded punch at the hardware store for taking out windows, in case occupants are trapped inside the car in a dangerous situation and need to be removed and keep it in the first aid kit.

As far as flashing light attraction or distraction, that is an old wive's tail, like global warming. If any credible study had ever conclusively shown this to be a fact, police and fire departments would order all of their personnel not to use them for safety and liability reasons at accident scenes. That has not happened for common sense reasons. At the very least, park way off the road and use your car's emergency flashers!      
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »

Well, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here--for what its worth.  I was a member of the local EMA a few years nack and had strobes in my car.  2 in front in the parking lights and 2 in the back in the taillights.  They were set to double flash, not to alternate.  I used them a grand total of twice.  

I've have not used them since I resigned from the EMA.  They're still in the car--but disconnected--because removal would entail getting new light fixtures and installing them and also ripping out the wiring--something I don't feel is necessary.

A ham does not need such equipment unless they're in a position to need to use their personal vehicles for hazardous activity.  That is something that hams should NOT do unless they're trained as such and are actually needed.  That one thing eliminates 99.9% of ham operators.
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 08:57:16 PM »

Is it just me, or does anyone else detect the smell of deceased and bruised equine in this thread?

Larry, N2HBX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 07:51:15 AM »

No, not equine, but whacker.  Dessicated whacker.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 07:44:34 PM »

No, that smell is the stench of Yankees from New York rotting in the Florida cemetaries. My Great Grandaddy always said; "Yankees make good fertilizer, but they are not good for much else!"

Why would someone spend $200 installing safety  strobe lighting on his vehicle, have two emergency situations to use it and then disconnect it? Sounds compulsive. A person like that probably would not make good decisions in an emergency anyway, so it is probably for the better.
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 09:26:37 PM »

Can this safety lighting thing go for one more page?  I just use the regular headlights on my car.

Mike
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »

SDY,

You win all the parallel arguments you are battling so courageously and intelligently on this thread.

It's obvious you are a genius and the rest of us are dense buffoons.

Clearly, you serve your community well, above and beyond expectations of any good citizen, and you should use your vast wisdom and experience to lead the world to a better existence of peace, harmony and serene order.

You are the finest mind to come along since the likes of Marx, Lenin, Hitler, Hussein, Manson, (Jim) Jones and Mussolini.

Thanks for all that you do.

Now be brave and go fire up those whacker lights to see how many first responders you can annoy and haw many lives you can endanger.

I'd buy tickets to watch that. Maybe you can sell a bunch of tickets to raise money for your bail.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2009, 09:50:11 PM »

...and thanks for the tip about First Aid kits at Big Lots.

I'm sure they are just as good as the ones at K-Mart.

Quality, but at a price!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: