Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multitapping an Outback?  (Read 431 times)
WY1Z

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »

I once saw a car with all taps on an Outback selected, but never saw where the tap wires terminated.   I performed a lot of google searching to try and see if anyone else might have done this to learn how to repeat the process, but no good hits.

If anyone has any good information on how to multitap the Outback, please let me know.  It would be helpful to have all bands available without needing to retap and without the need for a tuner.

Thanks.

Scott
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 06:53:40 AM »

You obviously know the antenna is rather lossy to begin with, so anything you do isn't really going to improve its efficiency because the Q is less than 25, best case. But, you can certainly make it worse.

I don't remember the URL, but some amateur in Australia, placed caps between the taps essentially turning the antenna into a trapped, multi-band vertical. I suspect what little efficiency it did have, is now even worse. The only advantage is instant QSY without getting out of the car to change the taps.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: