Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 05 Impala and FT-1800  (Read 334 times)
W4DOV

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »

I installed my FT-1800 in my '05 Impala last night. When the engine is off, it functions great. However, when the engine is running, I cannot transmit. Scan works fine but when I select a channel to transmit on it shows busy (even though the repeater is not in use).

I suspect it is picking up something from the engine compartment where the power wires are located but I cannot figure out where it might be coming from.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

73's
Steve/W4DOV
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »

It's probably ignition noise.

Most FM radios reject AM noise fairly well, but some really stink! If you're using tone squelch, it is not uncommon for the squelch to open, but have the audio still muted. It just depends on the radio's design. This causes the scan to stop, even though you don't hear audio.

The 2005's engine is probably a Gen III, which still uses spark plug wires, albeit fed with individual coil packs. If the milage is high (>50k or so) you might want to replace the wires and properly gapped plugs which will reduce the level a lot.

Worse case, you shield the wiring which isn't easy.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: