Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rig install in a Ford Freestyle/Taurus X  (Read 453 times)
AJ4FJ

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:58:29 AM »

I'm getting ready to install my trusty Kenwood TM-D710 in my new (to me) 2005 Ford Freestyle.  Any Freestyle/Taurus X/Taurus/Five Hundred/Montego owners out there that can offer any suggestions?

After suffering the theft of the original control head last year, I'm a big fan of mounting so that it can be easily hidden or just plain hard to see.   In my previous installation, I custom made an aluminum bracket that the head mounted to and would fit in the arm rest/console and could easily be removed and stored in the console, that's an option in the new car as well.

I've also got an overhead console that has a sunglass storage pocket and a flip down "conversation" mirror, which is pretty much useless.  I'm considering removing the mirror and mounting the control head there, running all the cables in the headliner and down the A pillar to the transceiver under the driver's seat.

I've got a nice Comet CP-5NMO trunk lip mount for the rear liftgate that I plan to reuse, but I've also considered one of the motorized tilt over mounts on the roof rack, but I've been put off by the price and the fact that I'll likely forget that it's upright and rip it off the car as I pull into the garage.

The antenna is a Diamond SG7500 dual bander.

Any opinions?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »

Yes. Don't mount the antenna on the hatch!

If you just have to use a bracket instead of a hole, then use a hood seam angle bracket. At least that way you won't have to worry about the tress on the bracket every time you close the hatch. And... you won't pinch the coax either.

If you want more info, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AJ4FJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 07:11:36 PM »

I'll look into the angle bracket, I thought about that already.  If I do mount it on the hatch, there's a wiring duct going from the body to the hatch for the rear wiper and defroster, I'll route the coax there so it won't get pinched.

One's thing for certain, I won't be drilling a hole in the car.

Anyone mounted a remote head in a Freestyle?  If so, pics of your installation would be greatly appreciated.

-Greg
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 05:45:09 AM »

Greg, pinching the wire is still going to happen as the "duct" is still inside the hatch weather seal. And, that doesn't address the stress problems.

I am aware lots of folks do what you're planning on doing, however, you end up with more headaches and expense than if you took the time to drill a hole. Since you're adverse to doing so, is the reason I suggested the hood seam. In the real world (especially when using FM), the performance difference is moot.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AJ4FJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 04:57:05 AM »

Thanks for the comments Alan, and very nice website BTW.  I've referred to it several times over the last couple of years for ideas and info.

I don't dispute that drilling a hole in the body would be the ideal solution, it's just not going to happen on my car.  I operate mobile in metro Atlanta, no problems hitting the repeaters I like to use with my current setup with low to medium power, so I'm not too concerned with losses due to my less than perfect antenna installation.  It works for me.

I'd love to see some pics of a control head installation in a Freestyle if anyone has any.

Greg
AJ4FJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: