Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing efficency of a mag mount.  (Read 1542 times)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 09:57:07 PM »

>
Thanks for sharing.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 05:04:11 AM »

On some of those mag mounts, the attachment of the co-ax to the mount is not strong at all.  The co-ax doesn't have to break, it can be pulled right out of the mount just by the snap when it reaches the end of travel allowed by the co-ax.

Mag mounts may be handy and portable, but they're also dangerous in some situations that people don't have control over.
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 06:36:13 AM »

Vern,

I do not keep a personal list of traffic accidents. The first three involving a mag-mount where while serving with the Los Angeles Police Department. The last one is as Chief, Department of Public Safety, DAH-State of Arkansas. The mag-mount was fed through the rear window. It was evident that the base of the mag-mount hit the side several times behind the window before the coax pulled out of the base. While were at it, Think carefully about the suction cup windshield mounts for GPS and cell phones. These are starting to become a problem when traffic accidents are PROPERLY investigated.

73 de Lindy
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 06:42:17 AM »

K1CJS said; "On some of those mag mounts the antenna attachment of the coax to the mount is not strong at all." So which antenna companies and antenna models are those? Be useful and give us a list, rather than just posting undocumented statements with no specifics or evidence. Oh, I get it. This is your opinion. Well, we know all how much that is worth!

K1CJS said; "The coax doesn't have to break, it can be pulled out of the mount just by the snap when it reaches the end of travel." So how many times has this happened to you? It has never happened to me and the anti-mag mount posters here say their antennas were dragged after they magically fell off for some reason. Another flawed theory based on perception rather than facts!

Many fatal accidents are caused by tire blow outs. Do you still have rubber tires on your car or are you using concrete tires for safety, like Fred Flintstone?

Again, permanent mount antennas and their flying radiators have the potential to be just as theoretically "dangerous" as mag mounts. Don't use safety as an excuse to give beginner hams bad advise!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 07:41:05 AM »

WW5AA said; "I do not keep a personal list of traffic accidents." No, but the department keeps an official list. Give them a call. They will hunt them down for you. If you were a cop, you should know how to get the information to prove your point. No report number, no proven point!

So the "several" mag mount accidents you saw in 40 years is now down to only four! That is only one every ten years. Sounds like an embellishment, at least. Good thing it wasn't under oath. I bet if we keep working on this, we can get it down to none!

If the four mag mount accidents were true, how would it compare to accidents caused by tire blow outs, on a percentage basis? I probably would have a better chance of having an elephant fall on my house, than being killed by flying antenna parts! That reminds me. How many of these mag mount accidents were fatal? None!

No offense, but some of the biggest liars and thieves I ever met were police chiefs. We had one that claimed he fought in every war in the 1900s, but had no military records. His favorite story was the time he parachuted out of a plane, the chute didn't open and he landed in a hay bale, saving his life. A stolen department shotgun was found behind some dry wall in his house after he died, by the new owner. He also conspired to make false allegations against me and was caught lying under oath in the internal affairs investigation. I should have arrested him personally on the spot, but I am a nice guy. Sometimes too nice!

Parachutes not opening, flying mag mounts, what is the difference?

How many permanent mount antennas have you seen with the radiators missing? Be truthful now!
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 12:16:57 PM »

Look on ebay for a R/S 30 watt VHF amp.  You can probably find one for around $25.  Or just buy a decent mobile and drill the hole to mount an antenna.

Mike
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 08:08:29 AM »

SDY--as usual, you're just shooting your mouth off.  Telling a beginning ham that a mag mount is just as safe as a securely attached mount is giving the beginner the WRONG advise, not just bad advise.  Your usual two cents worth isn't worth the two cents your handing out.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: