Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5/8w 2mtr. antenna for 6m?  (Read 573 times)
W5CEM

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »

Cruising thru previous posts and still not sure if I am correct.  A good 5/8 wave two meter mobile antenna will work on 6 mtrs.  Is that correct?  Will it work as low as 50.125?  Done a lot of mobiling this summer and growing weary of stopping to change antennas.  

TNX....cleve/W5CEM
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:33:24 PM »

That depends on the antenna. Some will, some won't. Comet does make an antenna which cover all of the VHF bands, but is isn't much more than a dummy load, especially on 6 meters.

If you're going to do SSB on 6 meters, you don't want a vertical. That is, if you want to do any serious work.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »

The Larsen NMO-150 2m 5/8-wave whip works fine on 6m.

However, it's true that for SSB work on 50.125 you'd really be a lot better off with a halo, loop, squalo, turnstile or anything horizontally polarized.

When I was pretty active mobiling on 6m SSB, the "difference" between a halo (horizontal) and a "whip" (vertical) was the difference between making 10-20 contacts a day from the van, vs. almost zero contacts per day from the same van, on SSB.

Obviously, the whip works great for FM/repeaters.

WB2WIK/6
W5CEM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 09:40:27 PM »

I am aware of the difference in horizontal and vertical polarization when working LOCAL contacts. In your experience, does this hold true for longer E-skip contacts?  

I worked almost 40 stations during FD with a vertical antenna as the beam didn't seem to want to tune up!!!

WONDERING?Huh?

cleve/W5CEM
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:44:19 AM »

I worked MANY contacts on a 5/8 wave 2 meter verticle as a 1/4 wave verticle on 6 meters.When the band was open I would work them back to back as fast as I could finish one contact just like when I ran a PAR-OA-50 on the pickup using BOTH on SSB.When the band is open it does NOT take much!Even the Yaesu ATAS-120A which is a piece of JUNK worked VERY well on 6 meter SSB.

Clayton
W4KVW
EM80
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 05:52:49 AM »

Since about 1999, I've had both a vertical and a loop on my vehicles for SSB 6 meters, controlled by a remote-controlled relay.

On just one occasion was the vertical better than the loop, and that's when I was working a local who also used a vertical. While polarization does twist, that's not always the case on 6 meters. It is, after all, VHF!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 06:12:23 AM »

I run vertical mobile simply because it's what I have for now. I can attest to the need for horizontal. If you can do it, then I would go horizontal. There is an 18 to 20 db loss which is noticable running cross polarization. (Most base stations run horizontal.)

For some reason I have not seen a huge issue running vertical on HF. Generally signals are good in the truck (even with less than a perfect antenna) and I can hear most of the stations chatting on a net unless I am in their skip zone. But on 6m I notice low signals but loud voices and, as a rule, my 100w into a 1/4 w generally needs at least an S2 or S3 signal on my TS480 in order to work the guy on the first or second call. A lot of times I cannot hear many stations on 6m but I do see the spots on the DX Clusters from stations around me running horizontal.

Just my 2 cents.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »

>RE: 5/8w 2mtr. antenna for 6m?       Reply
by W5CEM on July 7, 2009    Mail this to a friend!
I am aware of the difference in horizontal and vertical polarization when working LOCAL contacts. In your experience, does this hold true for longer E-skip contacts?

I worked almost 40 stations during FD with a vertical antenna as the beam didn't seem to want to tune up!!!

WONDERING?Huh?

cleve/W5CEM<

::Well, the majority of 6m contacts are tropo scatter and polarization holds over hundreds of miles in the troposphere.  It's true ionospherically propagated signals have no fixed polarization, so antenna polarization isn't critical.  But with the sunspot cycle where it is right now, the only ionospheric signals we'll be hearing are sporadic-E, and that "season" is coming to a close in the next week or two...and you may not hear another sporadic-E signal until May 2010, when the brief "E" season will begin again.

I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket, it's just too short lived.  The whole "rest of the year" from late July to Mid-may, which is most of the year, there is very little sporadic-E available and almost all contacts will be tropo.  

WB2WIK/6
W1LVL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:15:32 AM »

A big point missed so far is that the 2 meter whip should not be DC Grounded.

I have a 6 meter whip on my vehicle and with the right choice of whip lengths I am able to work both 50.125 ssb and 52.525 fm sections of the band. My rig does have a autotuner however. Horizontal is best for operation but does not always have work/xyl approval.

On 144 and 432 I use my larsen dual band for both ssb and fm. Again loops would be better for ssb but I have made many contacts on ssb. For special ocassions such as contests I mught put the loops on the car.

The important issue is the grounding of the antenna base vs mag mounts and having the antennas on the roof of the vehicle.

George W1LVL EL99
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:50:47 AM »

I've used an MFJ 2 meter, 5/8 wave magnetic which they advertise will work on 6 meters, and found it did a pretty good job. I have worked a lot of stations with it when the band was open.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: