Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF rig 11 meter antenna  (Read 2514 times)
KJ4MXO

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »

I hold a tech license.Am planing on getting general soon.Looking at buying an HF mobile radio but can only use 10 meters now.Can I use a CB antenna for 10 meters for now? Or will have to have an antenna that covers all the bands the radio is made for? Any help welcome.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »

Nah, most CB antennas should work pretty well on 10m with just a bit of trimming.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KJ4MXO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 01:04:39 PM »

Thanks for the info.Guess when I go general have to get multiband antenna.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:01:49 AM »

In almost every case, you won't need to "trim" anything. A good quality CB antenna, like a 9' whip with the spring installed, is tuned center of 10, 11 and 12 meters. If you plan on working all those bands leave it as it is. You will find it quite broadbanded and the SWR should be lower than 1.5 to 1. If you are just going to work 10 meters, take the spring off and you will be able to use it on both 10 and 11 meters, with a slightly lower average SWR.

If you use a good quality coil loaded antenna, such as a Wilson, follow the instructions for tuning by moving the whip up and down in the coil. Again, you will not need to "trim" anything. I would tune it to 27.5 mhz if you are going to use it on 10 and 11 meters or to the center of the 11 meter band, if you plan to use it on 10, 11 and 12 meters. You will find these antennas very broadbanded as well.

Do not use a cheap CB antenna! It will perform as badly as a cheap ham antenna. Do not "trim" or cut the antenna up. All you are doing is destroying a good antenna.

Always use a good SWR meter to check antenna performance and protect your transmitter. Check the SWR on any mobile or base antenna monthly, for the same reason.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »

If you get your general license later, just add an  auto antenna tuner and it will cover most of the HF bands using your CB antenna. The 9 foor whips work best for this, but you can use the base loaded antennas as well. I like to install the antenna tuner at the antenna end of the transmission line for best performance, but if that is not possible it will still work well mounted near the radio. If it is installed near the driver, you can use a cheaper manual tuner.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »

I forgot to mention, with an antenna switch, you can easily switch between your 10 meter ham radio and 11 meter CB radio using the same antenna, if you plan to use both. Further, if you buy a good quality switch box like a Dosey, or one of its clones, you can use the same antenna to receive on both radios and then switch to the one you want to transmit on. Remember to turn off the radio you are not transmitting on to prevent receiver saturation or damaged. Isolation is not as good as we would like with these devices. You will experience a slight (1/2) DB loss on the dual receive, but the extra versatility gained is worth it.
KJ4MXO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »

Thanks for all the info.My plan was to use a 9' whip I all ready have on a ball mount for 10 meter.From what I read I can probly use it for most HF frequencys which is nice to know.Thanks all for the help!
KC6RHE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »

I did this for a long time before I got my general, I have a Yaesu FT-100D and worked 10 meters with it using a CB (antron 99) on the roof. Once I got my general I added a antenna tuner and built a 40 meter dipole. 10 meters doesn't have much going on but hit that general, I passed with only 4 days of study.
73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: