Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter HT  (Read 1912 times)
KJ4MXO

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »

Only place I could think to post this.Does anyone know if 10 meter HT's are still made,and if so who has them(besides ebay).
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 05:42:39 AM »

There are some new ones from the big three which will receive 10 meter FM, but none I know of which transmit there. There are two, perhaps three Chinese units which do, but I don't think they're FCC approved for import.

The Yaesu 817 and the Icom 703 are portable units, and they're all-mode. I wouldn't call them handhelds per se.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »

It seems that there was a company back around the late 80's or ealy 90's that made a 10 meter HT.  I don't recall the company name, but I think it was a SSB unit that put out a few Watts.  I guess it would theoretically be possible to work DX with something like this if you had a good band opening using just the telescoping antenna on the ht.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:49:21 PM »

Pretty sure Motorola made a low band MT1000 that would program up on 29MHz.  Not sure what you'd do with 5W and a 1% efficient ducky antenna on that band though.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 05:36:37 PM »

FT-817ND runs 10m AM, FM or SSB and it's kind of an HT...doesn't fit in my pocket, but it comes pretty close!

I used to have "tons of fun" using converted CB HT's on 10m AM back in the day when everybody including Radio Shack sold CB HT's.  The crystal controlled ones (long time ago) were very easy to "convert" to 10m, all you need to do was buy new crystals.

I worked my "first DX" on 10m using an E.F. Johnson Personal Messenger on 29.2 MHz AM...using the HT's telescoping whip antenna.  I was 14 years old and in my bedroom, and working a guy in Minnesota who could barely hear me, so I climbed out the window and on to the roof of my parents' house (middle of winter, 20 degrees F and snow on the roof, of course!) to see if that would help, and it did!  Signals improved a lot on the roof and we completed the contact.  

I was so excited I climbed back in the window and ran downstairs to log the contact.

WB2WIK/6
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »

Azden made a 10m HT about 10 years ago.  Not sure if they are still in business though.  

http://www.rigpix.com/azden/az11.htm
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »

They're still around, selling wireless mic's, but left the US amateur market. Apparently they still market amateur equipment in the Japanese market.

http://www.azdencorp.com/

For a 10m FM HT you'd probably be best to look at Motorola commercial low band VHF gear. See Batwing Labs fir more specific model & conversion info: http://www.batlabs.com

For SSB & CW look at portable low power HF rigs instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: