Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2M and a laptop?  (Read 385 times)
KF7EEE

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »

Hi,

New soon-to-be-Ham (I take my test on Sunday the 9th) with a mobile question.

I have my Netbook mounted on a Ram Mount in my car for navigation and music streaming/playing through the car stereo.  I just mounted a second-hand IC-27A on the computer stand for mobile use; I figured that it would be ok to listen for a few weeks before I got my ticket.

Will the Netbook and the radio cause interference with each other?  It might be worth mentioning that the Netbook has an AT&T 3G card.

Greg
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 11:12:18 AM »

Probably not. The frequencies involved may cause a few birdies here and there, but for the most part no problem.

Just take time to properly wire, and install the antenna. If you need help, visit my web site.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KF7EEE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »

Thanks Alan, I've already perused your website quite a bit.

This will be a "phased" install, starting off with the mag mount antenna that came with the radio and then moving on to a mounted antenna when I have the money.  The radio came with a 12v lighter plug for power; I plan on hardwiring the radio, but I'll end up keeping the mag mount and the plug for portability and use on my boat.

Greg
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »

Just be careful that everything is tied down very well.

"Mounted" stuff all become missiles in a crash, unless it's really well mounted.

Same can happen with a mag mount antenna.

I doubt the 2m rig and computer will notice each other, that would be pretty rare.  Most "junk" emissions from laptop computers are at much lower frequencies than 2m, and the great noise blanking ability of an FM receiver would make most wideband hash or noise disappear, anyway.  You could get a discrete "spur" or two that will sound like a steady carrier on some specific frequency, but probably not.

Good luck!

WB2WIK/6
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »

Greg,

I run an Acer (Aspire) min-laptop for APRS and TH-D7 HT for APRS with a 5/8 wave roof mount antenna. The HT uses a 30 watt brick. I can use 2 meters on my FT-857D, 30 watts and my FT-50A HT, 5 watts. without a problem. I just have to remember not to get to close to 144.39. (:-). Have fun!

73 de Lindy
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »

My radios and desktop computer are right next to each other.  I have found out my USB/wireless mouse movement causes interference on some HF frequencies.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: