Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO mobile antenna  (Read 400 times)
K9RLX

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »

I would like to find a NMO mount antenna for 10 meters. I thought for sure I could find a CB antenna and cut it down a pinch but I can not come up with anything. I would like it to be no taller then 24" it is going to go on the roof of a Jeep. There will be a 1/4 wave 2 meter in the center and then I would like to put the 10 towards the rear. It also needs to be a whip antenna not fiberglass. Anyone have any ideas where I can find a whip thats is some where in the 18"-24" tall? I am not interested in performance here other wise I would use like a wilson 500 or something similar but just something small and will alow the radio to be used for short range. If anyone knows where I can find one I would greatly appreciate it!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »

Short relates to low efficiency. About as short as you're going to get, and still have a modicum of efficiency, is an NMO27 or NMO30 from Larsen. The overall length is about 44 inches, and even then the efficiency is about 40%.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »

I use a Larsen 27NMO and an FT-8900 on my Tahoe for 10m FM .  It's not much longer than the Larsen a 2/70 antenna,and it site nicely on the roof.  When the band is open, it's all you need.  But when  compared side by side to my IC-7000 and my HS-1800 it's very evident that it's a short antenna.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: