Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Puxing px-777 or fd-160a  (Read 547 times)
CERTNEAL

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:36:34 AM »

I am in the market for a handheld and am stuck between these two. I checked the reviews here and both seem to rate very well. I am leaning toward these over...say a yaesu due to price, they are really affordable. I will be using these mainly for disasters on a CERT team, also will probably listen in on the local repeater now and then.

I have seen where some of these chinese radios are illegal, I know the puxing is okay but is the FD-160? The prices are virtually the same so are there any advantages over one from the other?

Once again I really appreciate the help!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:23:23 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't buy either one, but as you said, the price sounds enticing.

Probably the worse problem you'll encounter will be service and support. While folks like Yaesu leave a lot to be desired in this department, at least you have SOME support. The others? Nada.

You'll also find out, they're a bear to program, and not nearly as convenient as most other handhelds, no matter who made them.

In any case, I certainly wouldn't buy one as my only handheld radio, and I wouldn't buy a handheld as an only radio.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N9LIG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »

I have them both and also 2 yaesu's. I use the FD-160 and PX-777 more than my yaesu's. As far as support goes I had a bad FD-160A (no speaker audio). I emailed them and sent it in. 2 weeks later they sent me a new one. Have been using them both for a year now and no problems. I use them daily.
Mike
N9LIG
CERTNEAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »

I appreciate both of your replies. I have taken Alan's comment to heart and may save up for a better one for my main HT. I need to find out first whether I will even need dual band on the CERT team or not, if so I will probably go with the ft-60r it seems to get great reviews, plus the battery holder is certainly nice. If I only need 2m possible the new FT-250, for the price it seems very nice.

I may still want to get either the 777 or fd-160 as a back up just in case, which would you prefer if you had only one?

Thanks again,
Neal
KE7VUX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »

I'm considering a Puxing primarily because you can get one that's Type Certified for Land Mobile use.

That would mean anyone interested in using one for their Fire Dept, or Ambulance service, or... Racing team, could (given the right licenses) legally operate the radio in the 150Mhz Land Mobile area AND use it on 2m.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: